Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own this tool:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?store=snapon-store&item_ID=75291&group_ID=1338

And used it to flare some brake hardline, some 3/8 tubing for transmission cooling, and some 1/2 in copper line for air.

All together, about 20-30 uses of the tool. The threads on the screw stripped, and now it won't work. I didn't misuse it, it was all by hand using the provided handlebar.

I figured I'd get a new one since it had a SnapOn warranty. I called them up today and was told that this whole tool, including the parts are considered a "consumable" tool. From SnapOn.com warranty page:

"Consumable products are goods reasonably expected to be used up or damaged during use, including but not limited to drill bits, saw blades, grinding discs, sanding discs, knife blades, files, O2 sensors and batteries. "

I even had a friend call a SnapOn dealer and he said the same thing. However this SnapOn guy is going to give me a new screw for 5 dollars instead of the 25 it would normally cost.

So moral of the story is that the SnapOn warranty is not so ironclad anymore.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Wow...must have had a dud cause I've used one many times and cranked the fawk outa the screw and what not, and it has yet to deform/strip....course it's older, and not exactly the same, but snap-on none the less.

KC

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:

I got this reply to my email:

"
> Subject: RE: Customer service, general [INTR:6812035] William, So you
> need a new yoke assembly, TF5A-7?
> http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/parts/pro_det.asp?Item_id=75291&group_I
> D=1972
> 3
> What is your address?
> Chris H
"

After I gave my address I got this email:

"I have placed order 1Y2624249 for the TF5A-7."

So it looks like they are going to send me a new one. Hopefully it's better quality.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
blue point is not snapon. The rule of thumb is anything that says blue point on it typically has a lesser warranty

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
it seems they are taking care of it though. I have a bluepoint kit that i keep in the bronco and havent broke anything yet. Ive tried and its working great.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
Where did u get that from? They have the same warranty.
I buy several thousand dollars of tools each year thats where

·
Premium Member
7,126 Posts
Don't know if this helps at all but it snap-on's warranty.

http://www1.snapon.com/display/termsofsale.nws

That flairing tool probably isn't evn made by snap-on or blue point most of those tool are made by one company and then sold to snap-on, mac, matco or whoever and they slap there labe on the box.

I like some of snap-on tools but most of the dealers we have had have been flakey or complete a-holes and i just don't want anything to do with them.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snap On made good on their warranty and sent me the yoke, screw, and handle in the mail. No proof of purchase necessary, just my email to them.

I still don't think I should have had to go through all that trouble, but to their credit they DID honor their legendary warranty, so my flare tool is back in business (until it breaks again).

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my snap on guy says the same thing, blue point is almost considered a lesser quality tool and will carry a lesser warranty.
some of the individual tool guys will be more forgiving when it comes to honoring it tho
Well it certainly is a lesser quality tool, I think we all know that. Last week a buddy of mine called his Snapon man and he offered to warranty it for me for 5 bucks. This was after I wrote the complaint, so now I guess I'll have 2 haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts