Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jim at bloody knuckle garage is making radius arms again for the general public. not sure if this is old news but i just now found out. now i know they look very similar and i think that jim wants a little more for his. any reason to go with the new ones he makes vs the duff arms?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,816 Posts
I think he uses a heavier wall tube than Duff, i heard Duff only uses .250" vs his .313". Also he has the weld-on kit if you dont want to use wedges.

Beyond that, no other difference i know of. The only reason i wont order from his is because he is Facebook only, and facebook is the devil. Dammit Jim get a real website!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got an email from him earlier, 825 for the arms plus shipping. he makes a track bar, track bar bracket, upper and lower coil mounts, dual shock mount and coil springs. i assume with all the same designs. that being said, is there an advantage running a shock hoop over what duff has out now, and the springs he has are comparable to 6" deavers? im trying to see what i have offered to me to plan this out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My Duff arms (ordered last week) were $825 shipped including the 2 degree bushings. I honestly did look to see what was up when you mentioned them, and also found the only place with any info was facebook. I know that it's becoming a big thing, but also think that you need a "real" online presence...

Honestly, is the .313 that much better than the $.250? Sure, it's 25% thicker, but why not use .500 then?

Can't speak to the weld-on pieces, as that is not the route I'm taking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
By the way, BNK? Are you thinking BKG? Just curious. Anyway, I've seen the 2" x .250" tubing break and bend more readily when used as link material on various trail rigs and very rarely have I ever seen the .313" DOM material bend and haven't seen it break. I've also visualized the vertical HAZ from tube to plate on my old design as a weak point so I now spread out the load more in an angled ending between plate and tube. 3/16" side plates can tend to egg out the 5/8" holes up front on heavily used trail rigs or rigs that are just heavy so I use the 1/4" plate to avoid any issues. The vertical plate not visible in installed pictures but it sits just behind the 5/8" holes on mine are fully welded and connected top and bottom not leaving any gaps like on my old design. I also now use a threaded heim bung in the end that will handle any of the long thread joints out there like "johnny Joints" if someone so desires.

Frame plate is all 1/4" as well.

Some other little differences in angles here and there, top/bottom/inner/outer/forward plates all start as separate pieces then are welded into shape as opposed to bent over the tube. This allows for a couple more feet of weld contact area making the plate/tube connection much stronger.

There are actually a lot of little differences I've done to make them stronger now evan as compared to the CAGE ones which were stronger yet than my even older design.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,816 Posts
By the way, BNK? Are you thinking BKG? Just curious. Anyway, I've seen the 2" x .250" tubing break and bend more readily when used as link material on various trail rigs and very rarely have I ever seen the .313" DOM material bend and haven't seen it break.
There are actually a lot of little differences I've done to make them stronger now even as compared to the CAGE ones which were stronger yet than my even older design.
I have no doubt that they are beefy, as i have wheeled the crap out of my Cage arms for years now. :thumbup
Unfortunately i did bend one, but i have a plan to straighten/reinforce it so it wont bend again.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have no doubt that they are beefy, as i have wheeled the crap out of my Cage arms for years now. :thumbup
Unfortunately i did bend one, but i have a plan to straighten/reinforce it so it wont bend again.

How exactly do you plan on straightening and renforcing it? I have bent one as well. I would like to straighten it out and renforce it because I'm pretty rough on $hit and I don't think bkg will warranty Cage arms.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,816 Posts
I went wheeling with a guy from MEB who bent his cage arm the same way i did, and he said he straightened it by chaining the axle to the frame, and jacking the bend out of the arm with a port-a-power (positioned between the arm & frame). Apparently it bent back really easy. Ive been busy with other projects so i havent gotten around to straightening mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts