Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I am 17 and have a 94. I am running 33 MTs and experience a rubbing whenever I turn. Everything I have read says the body lift will fix this problem but when I tried to get advice from a local shop, they said this was a terrible decision. I have the 3-inch body lift but I truly do not know if I should even try to put it on, or even if I can. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I removed a body lift because it looked terrible. But it had neither bumper nor fender line gap corrections.

They also require fan shroud corrections, potential steering shaft elongation, gas filler hose corrections, and potential transmission and t-case linkage adjustments. Most of those don't show up in the kits to my knowledge.

The body bushing bolts can be a chore to remove. If you decide you want to replace bushings, the bushing hardware is often rusted together and comes out in more pieces than the factory designed.

I'd find some tires that fit, wheels that had a more optimal backspacing, and consider some trimming where it is rubbing, probably in that order. Guys with Aeronoses will jump in and provide more education on how to manage 33s than I can.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,334 Posts
Investigate where exactly the rubbing is occurring. Its usually one of three spots, the front bumper, the rear of the fender opening, or on the radius arms.

You can cut the ends of the front bumper or space it forward with some washers.

For the radius arms, there is a bolt on the knuckle which acts as a positive stop to keep this from happening: just adjust it out a bit.

The rear of the fender opening is the hard one, but usually the least likely to happen.

Other remedies are thin wheels spacers or a small spacer under the coil springs.

Reactions: 67galax and GBlacky

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,334 Posts
No body lift ever. Don’t do it.
Eh I disagree, sorta. I owned a 90 f150 with a body lift. Everything was done properly and you couldn't tell it was a body lift. Looked and drove great with 31s.

Would i install one? Not a chance. Too many little nuances to adjust that you might as well just do a suspension lift.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,318 Posts
I got 33/10.50’s only rub the radius arms at full lock and not that bad, I do have a custom bumper though.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,334 Posts
Reactions: TheWolf

·
Premium Member
1991Bronco 5.8L, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift/SuperRunner, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
622 Posts
Check your offset on your wheels. Here is a chart to go by. With the correct offset, keeping it as close as possible to the factory setup, you will avoid rubbing on the radius arms.

Attachments

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
16,334 Posts
Check your offset on your wheels. Here is a chart to go by. With the correct offset, keeping it as close as possible to the factory setup, you will avoid rubbing on the radius arms.
Thats a handy chart!

Offset is important, but backspace is more important on these, IMHO. 3.5" is the sweet spot. Too much more, and you'll hit the radius arms.

·
Premium Member
1991Bronco 5.8L, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift/SuperRunner, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
622 Posts
Thats a handy chart!

Offset is important, but backspace is more important on these, IMHO. 3.5" is the sweet spot. Too much more, and you'll hit the radius arms.
Thanks for the correction Blue. I meant to say backspace not offset and you are correct the backspacing determines if it will rub on the radius arms. The chart I shared references backspacing to offset conversion. The factory rim was 7x15R with a 10mm offset with about 3.5" backspacing. Bronco rims should have no more than 3.75" maybe 4" of backspacing with optimal back spacing of 3.5".

I have the Raceline Defender 935B Wheel 15x10 5x5.5 (5x139.7) Satin Black -50mm Offset with 35x12.5 AT tires and have no rubbing at full turn. I have a 6" lift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank yall for all the advice and help!! I'm going to start saving for the suspension and do everything the right way.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,318 Posts
Thats the key right there. 10.5" wide instead of the normal 12.5" wide.
My bad dog! They are actually 33/12.50R15’s on stock 8 inch wheels 😮
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Locking hubs

·
Addicted to Junk
16,334 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
We use our Bronco for fishing and ski/snow trips and occasional daily driver, no heavy off roaming. I installed BFG All Terrain Tires 15x12.5x33 mounted on 15X10 Mickey Thompson rims. With no lift and the stock front springs, the front tires rubbed on the bottom corner of the bumper in tight turns and going up any slope/turn. I bought these 1.5 inch Leveling Springs that fit 1980-1996 Broncos and F150 trucks. With no other lift, just the new front spring installation, the tires now clear the bumper. They only slightly rub on the stock radius arms when under tight lock turns, which I try to avoid.

It has settled a little after a lot of use, but the tires still clear the lower bumper corner.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

With Stock Coil Springs - Tire hitting bumper when turning
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Stock coil on Left, +1.5" higher coil spring on Right
Tire Shoe Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

After +1.5" higher coil spring install
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts