Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a set of poly body mounts to replace the crushed rubber stockers and expected it to take about 3 hours tops.

First I find that the upper mounts weren't welded to the truck to make the removal easy... No biggie there.

BUT THEN, those *$)(#@*$)(@)(@)(* mushroom sleeves that hold the upper and lower mounts together!!! WTF FORD ENGINEERS?!!! I have done a ton of body mounts/lifts, and I have never seen this design. Might be good for something, but replacement is not that 'thing'. I was able to get the rear mounts apart no problem, but the front mounts are right under the dash, and you can't get a clean shot at em to bang em out because of the dash in the way.

So, out came the angle grinder after 1-2 hours of farting with those f$#(#in mounts. Now I have to go to the hardware store and try to piece something together.

Lest we forget dropping the ($($)##!! gas tank to get to one of the mounts. So, a 3 hour project turned into a 6 hour project, I wasted my Saturday and I still am not done yet... I have another 2 hours tomorrow to wrap this up.

****! I hate when seemingly easy stuff gets complicated for no reason.

I feel better now... Thanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
There There its ok, everything thing will be alright tomorrow... or maybe the next. Yeah I did mine and they werent even that rusty and had to replace some of them. Good Luck Bro :beer

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I had to burn the rubber mounts off with a torch, then heat up the factory sleeves and pound them apart. I did 1 half one day the other half the next.

A royal PITA.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Just cut the lower bolts off, and buy new mounting hardware. :rofl:

Yeah, right.. Try $450.00 smackers for a new set, or $250 for a "used" one!!! Looks to me that the "used" ones might could be a little banged up??? I thought a bushing knocker tool would do the trick, except that my kit didn't have that one size needed. I finally took the bolt from below and threaded it thru the top until flush with the lower nut. Then beat all hella outta it with a sledge hammer. Took about 1-3 hours pere mount to separate them, and only ruined the front core support mounts. had to cut them in half, since they're threaded together and the BFH did no good. One more tip. I ground that dang lip off of the lower sleeves so I could get it back together into the upper mounts without having to use the hammer.

Ford designer vs. Bronco owner: :box0715:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
the easiest way ive found to get those out is take the lngest bolts and screw it a couple treads back into the nut then pop it from the top every one we did on a 76 f150 and a 70 f100 came right apart

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DONE... She's good to go now. Body lines (you unibody guys wouldn't understand) between the cab and bed are straight as an arrow, and it gave the truck a more aggressive stance. I bet it lifted the passenger side up an inch, which prompted the changeout to begin with.

I feel the road just a hair more, but it does feel more solid.

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement. All of my big truck projects are done for now.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Before I had even bothered to figure out how much of a pain in the ass pulling the old bushings would be, I went and bought myself the new set of ES poly body bushings, and sway bar bushings... sway bars were cake, and then i took a look at the body bushings, and nearly cried.

My mechanic said it'd be almost a 350-500 dollar job to do, because he knows the status of the underside of my truck, and knows those rusty little bastards weren't going to come out easy.

I spent the better part of a week changing mine, and replacing all the bolts with G8 hardware. Will never do it again.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I think I paid like 25 bucks or so for my set of EnergySuspension poly bushings from summit, and I dont remember how much the g8 hardware cost me, but I dont think it was too much more.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i never had any come out easy. had to beat some -burn some-and sawalz some...every one was differt way to remove.....but PB Blaster a month ahead did help some ---soak each day...mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts