Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo I'm new here to this FSB website, and I have one little question. I was thinking about painting my bronco flatt black and dont know if it gets clear coated or how it would look if it wasnt cleared. If anyone has pics of a painted bronco thats flatt black just leave a pic...Thanks!

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
There is a couple of people that have done it on here. if you dont clear it, it iwll be easy to fix when you get a scratch or whatever on it. durabak smooth comes in flat black AFAIK

·
Registered
95 Posts
having it basecoat black is what makes it flat, if you put clear it will seal it & make it shiny. use a basecoat black, we have GMH black here in Australia, it gets dirty pretty easily, tree sap, bird shit, sticks to it & its hard to get off because the finish is actually a little bit porous. i had a flat black car for years & when i couldnt get large stains out id simply paint that small section with more flat black, as it blends in without any notice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I love the flatt black color but I'm debating on ruining my nice paint to do it. Cause I plan on lifting 9 inch on 20's for show....tell me what yall think I should do by looking at it as it sits now?

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
IMHO its a stupid idea to paint your car flat black unless the paint job is already screwed up or your gonna be doing alot of off-roading /trailing..

your paint is fine..

And you dont want 20's on a 9" lift.. just put some nice 38's on their and it wont look retarded.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I would leave your truck the way it is and lift it 6'' and leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
give me a month or two and i'll post a pic for ya

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
most of the rat rods are base coated with black and clearcoated. The clear coat has flatener in it which gives it the satin or flat black look depending on how much is used.

Flat black primer provides no real protection (not waterproof), epoxy primer provides some. The black primered cars I had were tough to clean.

FWIW, I'd leave it alone.

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
most of the rat rods are base coated with black and clearcoated. The clear coat has flatener in it which gives it the satin or flat black look depending on how much is used.

Flat black primer provides no real protection (not waterproof), epoxy primer provides some. The black primered cars I had were tough to clean.

FWIW, I'd leave it alone.
i agree

·
Registered
288 Posts
the thing with epoxy primer is that it has no UV protection. If you have just epoxy on a vehicle and it sits in the sun, shortly you will see a chaulky look to it. Basically the only way to get a truly flat black paint job is to just put on basecoat black, with no clear, but it wont last. The other options that you would have is to put flattener in clear like stated, but that will give it more of a satin finish than anything.

I know you used to be able to find flat black lacquer paint at a oreilly that was supposed to hold up to uv decent, but the problem with lacquer is that if you ever want to paint the truck again, you need to strip the lacquer paint completely off of it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
dont get 20" rims and a 9" lift... stick to 6ish and smaller rims if you want to actually use it for something. But if you just want to make a showy truck then go for it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts