Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of the restoration on my 78 I have been air hammering out the floor pan in my bronco to replace it (all of it from firewall to tailgate) and had to replace one cab mount due to rust... upon the removal of the front right mount i notice that the cab perch (the part that is riveted to the frame) is worn out... the only thing i can figure is that being the cab bushing and cab mount was booth shot for so long all the movement enlarged the hole.. the hole is probably one half to one inch larger than it is supposed to be and the sides of the hole are as sharp as a razor.

has anyone else had this happen?

anyone know where i can get some cab perches (used i assume) online.. i'm going to call the graveyard tomorrow and see if they have any

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
countryboy.. thanks for the lmc link, i allready get their book... the only problem is they sell the cab mount (the sheet metal part that is attatched to the body with spot welds) i need the cab perch which is the big metal bracket that is riveted to the frame, not hard to replace.. thanks anyways though :rockon

cnelson... i got and replied to your email :beer

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm going to get some pics of what i need tonight and post them

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
jlayne said:
cnelson... i got and replied to your email :beer
Be carefull dealing with him. If you're not carefull he'll do ya right. :toothless

·
Registered
689 Posts
my bronco was rusted out there too and all i did was weld 1/4'' plate on top of the mounts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok here are the brackets, you can see in the one pic how oversided the hole is :banghead

my bronco was rusted out there too and all i did was weld 1/4'' plate on top of the mounts.
well i'm glad i'm not the only one :drinkbud .. i was begining to think i was

i think cnelson is gonna hook me up with some brackets, but that is going to be plan B

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
jlayne said:
ok here are the brackets, you can see in the one pic how oversided the hole is :banghead

well i'm glad i'm not the only one :drinkbud .. i was begining to think i was

i think cnelson is gonna hook me up with some brackets, but that is going to be plan B
McMaster Carr sells thick large washers that can be welded right where your 'hole" is now. I ordered a bunch that the ID fit the metal embossed ring built into the poly body mounts. OD of the washer was almost identical to the OD you need.

I still had a bunch of them in 2 boxes. The larger one's I used on the frame standoffs and the smaller one's I used in the rear section where the body mounts sit directly on top of the frame (which raises rear of body 1/8 inch, but who cares). They are beefy, 1/8 inch thick.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ox1 your the man, as much as i have beat my brain over how i was going to fix this washers never came to mind... if i can't get the replacement brackets that looks like the best alternative

what gets me is the frame is rock solid on my bronco... how the hell did the center of these brackets rot out... do they wear out or rust out?

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Try this PN 90108A043

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
jlayne said:
what gets me is the frame is rock solid on my bronco... how the hell did the center of these brackets rot out... do they wear out or rust out?
It's very common. Water must get in there between the rubber and the steel and just eat it. Don't help that dirt gets in there to hold the water.......... :cry

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all this time i thought my L&L engine mounts was busted and it turned out i was getting body movement due to the perches being boogered up :doh0715: :shocked

i'm luck the damn cab didn't fly off the thing going down the road

·
Registered
727 Posts
Gub_Ni said:
Be carefull dealing with him. If you're not carefull he'll do ya right. :toothless
When i first started reading that i got nervous. Thanks.:beer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts