Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just finished work on my tailgate because someone rammed their car into it. I pulled the dent out as far as I could, and ended up having to weld a seam, and a couple brackets back together. The tailgate is back as close I could get it to the original shape. So, I'm also fixing my passenger door where the mirror mounts, because it was smashed in, and then painted over. the massive dent. So, I'm going to pull it out, and get it straight.
Now, I'm looking at the truck under the florescent lightin in my sschools shop, and I can see all the imperfections. There's a ripple-effect along both sides, and two large dents on the fenders. Then, I look at the top of the cab, and I can see baseball sized dents.
See, I'm thinking I want to sand my truck down, and fill in the mass quantity of low spots, and also try to get the body shaped back to original. Then, I would primer it a darker blackish primer. I just need to know if you guys approve of this idea. Also, I will try to get my buddies camera to show you the ripple effect , and the other dents.
Anyways, thanks for any help in the future.
-Nitro

·
ford freak
731 Posts
I think its really up to you. I bought my truck after it was in an accident and only repaired the accident damage so that it would pass inspection. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I mainly want to get the body straight so at some point, I can return it to its natural paintjob, which was Tan and Brown. Plus, it gives me something to do in Mechanics. Then, if I decide to sell it, its ready for paint, and most of the work is already done. I personally think it would look much better in dark grey primer than the horrific paintjob it has now.

·
ford freak
731 Posts
Well, I mainly want to get the body straight so at some point, I can return it to its natural paintjob, which was Tan and Brown. Plus, it gives me something to do in Mechanics. Then, if I decide to sell it, its ready for paint, and most of the work is already done. I personally think it would look much better in dark grey primer than the horrific paintjob it has now.
if that is your goal, you should fix it and paint it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I've had good success with pulling dents by using a kit similar to what Eastwood sells. Basically the kit consists of a 120 volt welder, copper coated pins and a slide hammer. You grind to bare metal, weld the pins in place and use the slide hammer to carefully pull the dent out. Usually I've used just a skim coat of filler to finish the job. It worked on parking lot dings, a severe crease in the quarter panel and caved in door. In other words, don't use the technique of drilling holes and pulling on screws to remove dents. Of course this technique is best when you'll paint the truck when finished.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had good success with pulling dents by using a kit similar to what Eastwood sells. Basically the kit consists of a 120 volt welder, copper coated pins and a slide hammer. You grind to bare metal, weld the pins in place and use the slide hammer to carefully pull the dent out. Usually I've used just a skim coat of filler to finish the job. It worked on parking lot dings, a severe crease in the quarter panel and caved in door. In other words, don't use the technique of drilling holes and pulling on screws to remove dents. Of course this technique is best when you'll paint the truck when finished.
Yeah, that kit is exactly what I used for the tailgate, and Passenger door. Its a gun that welds it. Basically, I only need to use that for the door, and the Drivers side Front fender. Then, I wanted to run a bit of body filler over it, and then primer it. What would i use to make sure the surface is flat, and smooth after the filler is applied?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandpaper. But use the longest sanding block you can find, and for God sakes, don't use your hand. The longer the sanding block is (within reason) the less ripple-effect you will have with your finished product.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Get an aerosol primer, and lightly "mist" over the entire section you're working on after you've done some sanding. Then run over the whole section again lightly. The primer will stay in any areas that aren't level, and you'll be able to tell where you need to fill in some more. Areas may look like they're smooth to the naked eye, but if/when you decide to repaint it, that clear coat will show you what you didn't see.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Do whatever you can and can afford to get it ready for paint, but don't.......

leave it in primer. Primer offers ZERO protection from teh elements and rust.

Leave it in primer too long and all you bodywork will be for not.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, no primer for long. So, could I essentially paint over the primer with like.....a flat black? Can I rattle can it?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Ok, no primer for long. So, could I essentially paint over the primer with like.....a flat black? Can I rattle can it?
Better than nothing

but "sealing" off a paint job with things like clear coat is what prevents water getting behind the primer into the paint. flat is more porous than a sealed paint.

It's kinda why they paint metal.;)

Sixlitre

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Better than nothing

but "sealing" off a paint job with things like clear coat is what prevents water getting behind the primer into the paint. flat is more porous than a sealed paint.

It's kinda why they paint metal.;)

Sixlitre
What if I put clear over the flat?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
What if I put clear over the flat?
Better sealing but it'll still be satin if not shiny

Do what you want, but if you intend on keeping the truck any number of years, protect it the best you can against water and rust

Sixlitre

1 - 14 of 14 Posts