Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so we are going hunting and have pulled my 22' travel trailer over Snoqualmie Pass and down almost to Ellensburg. After a little road or two we are heading up a forest road, 1st gear, 2000rpms, four wheel drive and before we realise it the tranny has spit out 12 qts of fluid. (E4OD) It is spitting out the top somewhere behind the motor. Next day, put 12 qts back in and it runs fine. Just got home with the trailer without further probs. Apparently this is the 3rd time this has happened. (Not my truck) 93' F150 only 68K miles. Any ideas?????
P.S. The truck has a factory towing package with a fairly large tranny cooler.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've not experienced this situation, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the four wheel drive. Doesn't the transfer case run on tranny oil? It sounds like too much pressure. Do you think it was coming out of the top of the dip stick tube? What about the seal where the tube goes into the tranny? If it was actually coming from the top, rear part of the motor, then maybe the torque converter was having a fit--like maybe it didn't unlock after you got off of I-90. Could a short in the wiring cause the torque converter to act funny for a little while, causing too much pressure, then return to normal? Just trying to brainstorm for ya!
:shrug

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
The T-case does use ATF but that would have nothing to do with it overflowing as you described. The tranny is it's own contained system. The tranny dipstick is on the passenger side of the engine and back by the firewall. I would say your tranny was getting very hot and the fluid was simply boiling over. I am not sure if it will actually boil but it will expand and overflow if it gets too hot. BTW 12 quarts sounds like an awful lot of ATF. I can't remember putting that much in my E4OD.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Meixter said:
It is spitting out the top somewhere behind the motor.
This is telling me that it's comin out thru the tranny vent. I don't know much about transmissions, but isn't there some kind of bypass valve, where excess pressure is bled off somewhere? - tho, I doubt it'd supposed to bleed off thru the vent, just thinking out loud

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We didn't see any smoke, probably cause it was dark. I don't believe it was coming out the dipstick, my friend thought it was coming out the vent. I just don't understand why it would overheat that bad. The truck driver said that the E4OD is notorious for heating up the front seal which then expands and pukes out the fluid. Then when everything cools down the seal returns to normal. Has anyone else heard of this?

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
we were backing a trailer up hill with about 10K on it, brakes that operate on pressure on the pintle hook and about 39K on the 00 PSD with whatever the hell trannys they came with in it and we puked out a few quarts never found out what it was exactly but it seemed to come out of the torque converter hole so I guess either the TC blew some up or the front seal or something. But I think that truck is still doing ok besides 3rd being totally gone by now..

Not sure if any of this helps any but I guess that 22ft trailer is a little to much for that E40D in that state.

·
gone fish'n
23,563 Posts
Meixter said:
The truck driver said that the E4OD is notorious for heating up the front seal which then expands and pukes out the fluid. Then when everything cools down the seal returns to normal. Has anyone else heard of this?

raf had something similar to this happen

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
we were backing a trailer up hill with about 10K on it, brakes that operate on pressure on the pintle hook and about 39K on the 00 PSD with whatever the hell trannys they came with in it and we puked out a few quarts never found out what it was exactly but it seemed to come out of the torque converter hole....
Something similar to this happened to a friend of mine. We were using his '99 PSD to haul peanuts with. We were doing about 30 mph in 2nd gear with 3 loaded trailers behind us when it just stopped pulling... It would rev up but not go anywhere.. it was like the tranny was in neutral. Long story short, we ended up checking the tranny and it was about 10 qts. low....

As a side note, has anyone else ever tried to pull really heavy things w/ a bronco? I took 2 of the 3 trailers and pulled them the rest of the way (about 20 miles) and it pulled them suprisingly easily... I'm just waiting for my tranny and/or 8.8 to go as soon as they realize what they pulled :banghead

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How's this???

:toothless

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hauled this trailer about 300 miles, no problem.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
my e4od blew out fluid from the front seal when my speedo wasnt working. i have changed the filter and fluid had my speedo fixed(bad harness) and no trouble since
john

·
Registered
912 Posts
1st Puked out dipstick 45k
2nd Puked out inspection cover, torque convertor seal 95k
3rd Puked out EVERYWHERE 101k

Tranny quit.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
first id need a new tranny, but i've always wondered what the bronco would handle now with the 460 & 8 lug up front & D60 in back. the mileage couldnt be worse than a 30' motor home with a 460. plus i could drop the trailer & wheel the tow vehicle. of course the last, first or middle 5'-10' would need to be set up like a shop to maintain the whole deal. hmmm, or would getting a school bus & flatbedding the last 10'-12' be easier? AXE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts