Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, currently I am trying to replace my current suspension with a new skyjacker kit. Here is the Link w/Photo's

I have run into a portion that is testing me once more on trying to remove the bolt out of the mounting bracket to the rear leaf springs.

As you can tell the bolt head has been cut off. I have also cut off the nut on the backside. So now it is just the bolt shank that is in there as I am trying to drive it out through to the other side.

This thing is so rusted in there that when you turn the shank it literally turns the leaf spring mount with the shank.

Anyone have a remedy for this problem on how I can get out the mount?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Big F****n Hammer, and a steel rod , you just gotta keep hittin it and eventually the rust will separate and the bolt will come out. Small sledge hammer. Get something to plug your ears with and maybe wear a work glove on the hand thats holding the solid rod. Sometimes if you heat it up then throw cold water on it , the quick temp change cracks the rust. Might have to do it a few times.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Grind off the hanger bracket rivets

(to be replaced by bolts later anyway) then take the whole assembly out onto the bench and beat the living crap out of it (very satisfying and you'll be less likely to injure yersef' than under the truck.

First warn the truck one more time what you're gonna do to it if it doesn't give over on your last attempt before bracket removal.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
169 Posts
if you do not have a O/A take a 1/8 drill bit and drill a hole right in the center of the bolt and then drill with a bigger bit just keep getting bigger till the bit is same size as bolt. drill deep enough to get through the bracket. if you cant get to the back side. Use the BF hammer

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
i had the same problem..beat the FAWK out of it with a small sledge, or remove it entirely, that's what i ended up doing...removed the whole bracket, took a 7" grinder and cut the one ear off the bracket, then torched the bushing and knocked the bastard out...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I found that I had trouble with having enough room to swing a 4 pounder without hitting the body. I heated it up with the torch and drove the bolt out with an air hammer. about 2 minutes including torch time.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i just had this same problem on my passanger side. same bolt. I cut the bolt head off then used my air chisel to slip it thru a little and then foudn out it was goign to hit my trailer hitch. so i had to drop my hitch. cut the nut off and used the air chisel the rest of the way. I replaced all the bolts except that back one. Think its one of them special Ford ones since the bolt i originally bought for it didnt fit. The 2 bolts for the shacle are the same size while the front leaf bolt is much larger. so in the end i only replaced 4 out of 6 bolts.

I just finished my lift kit and i also put in the new springs FR54 with a 6inch lift. the ass is sagging so i got a 3lift sleel block to replace the factory shim and give me the other 2 inches. I dunno if you got FR54 with a 6" but if you did bring them back rate away and get FR56. Other FR54 is good for 4" I just hope you dont havbe FR52 with you 4" lift. or the ass will sag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts