Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a wheeling trip coming up in Ocala FL, and one of my tires has a plug in the sidewall. In case this comes out I'm going to need to put my spare on.

The thing is, the previous owner put a bolt locker on the spare tire carrier and I can't get it off. Nothing will fit on it, and I've bought SEVERAL different keys for it and haven't found one that fits it. I absouletly MUST have this off so I can have access to the spare on the trip. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've thought about using the sawzall, but this would be my last option because I dont want to fsck up the bolt.

Yes its a locking nut in a five-point star pattern

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crack them? And I've tried SEVERAL different locker keys and can't find one to fit it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Air chisel works wonders....
but some places sell a reverse cutting deep well...by be called something other than that...it cuts in reverse to grab into the base of the locking lug. Most tire shops around me have them...just in case!

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Use a cold chisel and a sledge to turn the biotch

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
BEST TOOL EVER!

this is what you use

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952165000P?keyword=nut+remover
00952165000.jpg

its a damaged nut remover. like a left hand drill bit around the outside of the socket. the more it turns the deeper into the lug it digs. i went to sears to get this set. all they had at the time was a 3 piece double sided set. its all you need and a little cheaper. standard on one end metric on the other. i think i used the one around 18mm or 3/4" ish

works great! screw what the reviews say. when i bought my bronco every lug was a wheel lock, thats right 20 wheel locks :smilie_slap, took em off in the guys driveway (bronco was to big with the 39x18s to fit on my trailer).

DO NOT USE AN IMPACT. it will make it nearly impossible to get the lug out of the socket. pick the size that barely fits on the lug. LIGHTLY tap with a hammer,so lightly you could actually use the handle of the breaker bar, then unscrew with a breaker bar. all day job with grinders and punches finished in two minutes :chili: .

it makes you wonder why we use wheel locks at all. any thug can get these and unscrew your locks like regular lugs

[note to all thugs: disregard previous info, you never saw this]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
When I bought my son a car a few years ago , the PO had lock lugs on each tire. I didnt feel like finding the correct "key' so, I welded a 1/2" nut ( a 3/4" lug wrench will fit) to each of the lock lugs and zipped 'em off with the impact.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
hellbndr23

You mentioned what I was thinking. If you work on anything rusty, then having a set like that is wonderful. (As well as wheel locks)

KC

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hellbndr23, thanks for that idea! Looks like they would work great. But the price is not something I can handle. I'm a starving college student :thumbup

But maybe a friend of mine has one I could borrow....

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Bronco'96

when do you need them and where are you at? i can ups u mine as a loaner. i too was a starving student. you can also recycle beer cans :beer

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,491 Posts
After I lost my lug key TWICE I gave up and took em off. I used a die grider and made a flat spot on the top and bottom - got a big vise grips on it and kicked the grips. Trying to turn them by hand didn't work - it just slipped off, kicking it actually got the lugs to turn. I did this on the front wheels - so I have to work with the damn hub being in the way. Good luck - I just picked up both Craftsman sets pictured above and can't wait to try em out. Anyone know what the black little bar is for? Pounding the pos bolt out of the socket you just removed?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bronco'96

when do you need them and where are you at? i can ups u mine as a loaner. i too was a starving student. you can also recycle beer cans :beer
FT Myers Florida. But that's too much hassle on your part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts