Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home and as I turned a corner I saw something fly across the road away from the Bronco and thought "I hope that didn't fall off my Bronco!" which of course it had! The truck kept running but the temp gauge started to climb, I had no power steering and the battery light was on. Luckily I had only 2 turns to make on the way back and I was 2 miles from home.
Bottom line - My tensioner bolt (not the pulley bolt, the one that actually holds the entire assembly on) snapped right off. Luckily I went back and was able to recover the assembly (it has a brand new pulley on it). I did search but came up with little info. Any idea what would cause this besides age and has anyone ever replaced this bolt after it snapped and do you have pics?? It looks like its on the same bracket with the alternator. I also had a good amount of power steering fluid sprayed in the engine compt. It looks like it blew out of the little hole in the cap. Was this likely caused by the abrupt stop of the pulley which caused it to blow out?? The steering pulley still turns freely.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
how the hell did your engine continue to run without a belt on it?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
how the hell did your engine continue to run without a belt on it?
umm, becuase the belt doesnt cotrol anything needed for an engine to run

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link Sewiv but that info is simply replacement of the assembly. I want to know how much other sh$* I have to take off and how much of a pain it's going to be to take off the bracket and drill & tap it. Also I'm assuming( I know there's that word) that A little resistance in the power steering pulley is normal. It turns but not free wheeling like the rest.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
With a right-angle drill, you may not need to pull the bracket at all. Pull the fan and shroud, and you should have plenty of room.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sewiv said:
With a right-angle drill, you may not need to pull the bracket at all. Pull the fan and shroud, and you should have plenty of room.
It would be a good excuse to get a right angle drill but I'd rather spend the money on other mods. I think I'd have less hassle just pulling the bracket. I'm going to be working on this tomorrow as I'm at work until 8am. I'm just hoping it wasn't caused by another problem.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Probably just caused by age.

I use a Harbor Freight right-angle drill adapter, it was $10. Works fine for what I use it for, but then I don't drill bolts out with it.

I'd try an easy-out of some sort as well. Anything to keep from having to tap it again. Did it break off flush?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah pretty flush. It probably didn't help that I pulled the belt about 10 times over the past month tryint to get rid of a squeak. I forgot they make those 90deg adapters, thanks for the reminder. I probably should replace the tensioner assembly since its off. Is it normal to have a little drag on the ps pulley when spinning it by hand? It doesn't feel like bearings are shot but there is definite drag with the cap on.

·
Registered
610 Posts
burger213 said:
Yeah pretty flush. It probably didn't help that I pulled the belt about 10 times over the past month tryint to get rid of a squeak. I forgot they make those 90deg adapters, thanks for the reminder. I probably should replace the tensioner assembly since its off. Is it normal to have a little drag on the ps pulley when spinning it by hand? It doesn't feel like bearings are shot but there is definite drag with the cap on.
Yeah, it should take a little effort...you are pumping fluid when you turn the pulley.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
smileybry said:
Yeah, it should take a little effort...you are pumping fluid when you turn the pulley.
Thanks- Thats what i thought. It felt like it was pressure from an impeller/pump.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK- I've got the bracket off and I'm going to attempt and extract the bolt. Is there any thing I should check or do to the alternator or air pump before I put them back on. Is it poss to lube either of the items??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HOLY SH*T!! I soaked it in PB Blaster for about an hour, center punched it, and the started to drill. It threaded itself right out the back of the bracket:chili: Now I'm running up to Murrays and get the tensioner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!:rockon Is more like it. Any input on cleaning or lube for the air pump and alt. I'm no as concerned about the air pump because it's going bye bye sometime before Fall. I'm going to replace the exhaust (stock still) and chop the cats off as there is no emission checks here. I can't wait to get her back back together and running. I think I'll have to crack a Molson or 2 or 3...........

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I work in Dearborn and live in Redford. How about you?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
burger213 said:
HOLY SH*T!! I soaked it in PB Blaster for about an hour, center punched it, and the started to drill. It threaded itself right out the back of the bracket:chili: Now I'm running up to Murrays and get the tensioner.
You lucky dog !!!!!!!!!!

That does call for a Molsons. Get that air pump to the bottom of Lake Michigan asap. Its SO easy to change plugs without it.

I'm now emissions exempt, being 20 years old, and you can bet my air pump done got pitched seconds after it turned 20:toothless

Kept the cat just because it's a high flow 3" single and ain't hurting nuthin'.

Good luck

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.