Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 92 with a 302 and e4od, the motor was rebuilt by jasper engines and still under the 3 yr 75000 miles warranty. the guy who put the motor in originaly is an asshole and wants nothing to do with the truck before he even new about the problem and now he says he dosent deal with jasper anymore. they refered me to another local jasper installer who took ti aprt and found the bolt so now im screwed. im waiting to find out if it damaged the valve and if the valve is still sealing ect..., anyone have any ideas how to go about this as far as with jasper or maybe taking the guy who put the motor in to small claims court or somthing. also what kind of damage could this have done to the head? might i need a new head and how much could that be, or get the head machine and how much could that be? also how much labor is involved in this as far as puting the ehad back together along with everything else, i looked it up on alldata and it says 6.7 i belive is it realy goin to take that long or maybe longer? thanks guys, by the way if anyone has a new gun they wanted to try out feel free tryin it on me:cry :doh0715: :cry

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
who the hell knows, i dont think i could have been jasper becuase the send it with no intake and it probaly would have been seen so it hada b the jerk off that pot the motor in the truck

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
How many miles have you put on the motor since it was installed and how was it running?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
So your saying that the bolt got in there during the install of the intake....and that was done by the same guy that did the engine swap....I assume.
So then you are also saying that this bolt was either rattling around in your intake tract until it got lucky enough to drop into the combustion chamber and get caught by the exhaust valve......or are you thinking it was left by jasper in the cylinder while the head was off???

Jasper usually does a good job of standing behind their product......at least in my experience.

How many miles did you put on the new motor before the problem?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe 16,000 at most dnt have the records with me rite now, the motor had been runing fine until i got a pice of carbon between the elctrodes on a plug, i did plugs wires cap rotor fuel filter, and it was runin like a champ, then outa now where started running like shit, checked for stuck egr, map sensor, and vacum i had about 10in when i got the idle to steady out by giving it gas, i then took compression everything was good til i got to the last cylinder i had to do number 4 and had no compression wet tested it still nothing hooked up an air line and had air compin out the exhaust, jasper couldnt have left it in the cylinder i would have know along time ago, i had to b stuck somewehre like the intake and finaly rateled loose, but i know this guy is goin to give me hard time as soon as i mention it and is gona wana have nothing to do with it, i would realy like to try to bring him to court but i dnt no if i can or if it would work

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I just think it is amazing how long it took for it to get jammed up like that......16K miles is a long ride with a rogue bolt bouncing around the lower intake.

The engine itself is warrantied by Jasper.....but the labor that was done to switch it.....would be covered by the guy doing the instalaiton.....if its covered at all.

Do you have all your recepts......and is all the small print readable???

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I'm still trying to understand this. First off, how exactly do you even know there is a bolt in there? Second, like Streetgang, I find it hard to believe that a bolt is going to stay put for so long (forget about how unlikely it is for a mechanic to do this) and not end up in the valve right away. What I would believe is that someone with access to your motor put that bolt in there. Even then, a bolt would cause severe damage, in my opinion. I would think if a bolt ended up in your intake that you would hear a loud bang and your motor would be dead.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
well i got one for ya...I had an idiot friend of mine flip the lid on my air cleaner...I turned it back around because most of the off roading I do is in dirt and sand...didnt now it but the rubber coated washer fell of the aircleaner and work its way into the intake and ended up in the number 8 cylinder...I discovered this due to I notice the car started to run rough...pulled the plug and found the end broken....put new plug in and ran great for about 2 minutes then rough again...ended up pulling the head and found the washer...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont know guys, beats the shit outa me too, so you guys think they guy who found the bolt is lying to me then? cuz i found it hard to belive it took that long to and my truck is always locked so i dnt think anyone intentionaly put it in there plus i dont realy have to many enemys that would do that wlel i dont think i do lol so who wants to end my life for me?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I find it hard to beleive that a bolt could find it's way through the intake valve, then get stuck in the exhuast valve. Stanger thinks have happened. It has to be a very small bolt to make it past the intake valve. I think I would take a very close look at the throttle plates in the throttle body and see if you are missing a screw that holds the plate in.
Just a thought.

Steve

·
Registered
784 Posts
if there is a bolt in there, jasper should fix/replace the engine for you since it was the installer's fault. tell them that you need your truck to get to work or some crap and that you paid good money for a new engine, which im sure you did. i too have a jasper heart in mine.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
miketrains03 said:
if there is a bolt in there, jasper should fix/replace the engine for you since it was the installer's fault. tell them that you need your truck to get to work or some crap and that you paid good money for a new engine, which im sure you did. i too have a jasper heart in mine.
After 16000 miles, there is no way Jasper or any other company would take responsability for this (bolt?), unless it can be proven that Jasper is responsable. xmeinherzbrennt, you never answered my question, how do you actually know there is a bolt stuck in there? I am still having trouble understanding this. It seems to me that if a bolt did manage to get sucked into the cylinder and go throught the four stroke cycle without damaging one of your valves that it would make its way out into the exhaust pipe? What size bolt is it anyways and where may it have come from?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
if there was ANYTHING in ANY of the combustion chambers or even something that fell into the cylinders, would'nt there be a very, very audible NOISE - such as clanking, banging around or a "knock" of sorts?

I mean, in 16k miles, nothing was heard at all?

I'd like to know where the item was for 15,999 miles before it decided it was going to cause some issues.

Not saying what happened is not true, but I guess all of us, including yourself is trying to figure out HOW it happened... and how come you did not experience any issues at all in the begining... because you have to figure that a Bronco does take a "beating" when driving around, just the jarring of different road surfaces, pot holes, etc one would think that if there was something loose in the engine where it would cause detrimental damages, that you would have HEARD this way sooner...

very puzzling...

Has anyone produced the actual item (bolt) that they say they have found? If it is a bolt, what type is it - do you have any pictures?

I mean, when I hear "bolt", I'm picturing a normal size bolt (say a 1/2" head with at least a 1/2" or longer shank on it) and I just cannot see how this would not have caused any troubles at the first start up of the new engine...??

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont no yet guys im waiting to hear back from the guy and hopfuly he held onto the bolt like i asked so i can see it and i want him to show me how it was stuck, and i cant figure out how it took so long either, exspecily with the offroading and shit, but everyone ive talked to said it is posible but i just cant understand it at all, but il letu guys know everything i find out adn what happens, i already talk to jasper pretty much im screwed as far as them still gona try and figure out if i can take the installer to court cuz hes an asshole anyway, but for now does anyone have a write up on removing and installing the heads, becuase if this guy tells me theres no damage then im gona tow the truck back to my shop and put it back my self and with out have been the one to take it apart a writeup would realy help puting it back together, but anyway il keep you guys updated

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You said you did plugs/wires/etc. How long before the bolt got stuck did you do those?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Have you not gone to where your truck is and talk to this guy in person and see things for yourself?
I was just thinking, if the bolt was jammed in there (in the exhaust valve) you would hear a really loud clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack because of all the play that you would suddenly have because the exhaust valve is no longer seated. If it didn't clack when you drove it into the shop than this guy is BSing you and needs a kick in the head.

Something just doesn't sound right here.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
waltman said:
Have you not gone to where your truck is and talk to this guy in person and see things for yourself?
I was just thinking, if the bolt was jammed in there (in the exhaust valve) you would hear a really loud clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack because of all the play that you would suddenly have because the exhaust valve is no longer seated. If it didn't clack when you drove it into the shop than this guy is BSing you and needs a kick in the head.

Something just doesn't sound right here.
I am sort of feeling the same way.......first off if I got a call from a mechanic saying that a BOLT was found stuck in my exhaust port between the valve and seat......I dont think the mechanic would have time to hang up the phone before I hauled ass over there to see this spectacle with my own eyes.

Yes the engine should have been clacking away like a mariachi band from the top end.....
yes this "bolt" should have made itself known long before 16K miles (and who knows how many hours of running time) got on the engine

Something is very fishy here........and I for one love a good "who done it".

I hope you (xmeinherzbrennt) dont just leave us all hanging here.......please keep us all updated on the outcome.....and your course of action.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Streetgang said:
I just think it is amazing how long it took for it to get jammed up like that......16K miles is a long ride with a rogue bolt bouncing around the lower intake.
It's amazing how long loose things can float around in an engine before they become a problem. I would have thought this was weird, too, if something similar hadn't happened to me.

I redid the timing belt on my BMW a couple years ago. Apparently, I made a mistake somewhere and the timing belt tensioner fell into the waterjacket behind the water pump. It floated around loose in there for almost 2 years before it wedged between the block and the water pump impeller at 5000 RPM. THAT was fun......

If there's a bolt in your combustion chamber, and it only could have gotten there during the installation, then it is certainly the shop's liability. The engine warranty doesn't come into play for installation mistakes. But the shop should buck up and fix it. If not, then a trip to court is in order.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Everyone is assumeing it came in from the intake side. what if it was droped in an exhaust port while putting on the manifold? It's possible it was fine until recently (air blowing out, it should have fallen down into the tail pipe) then it started running eough it may have gotten sucked back into the valve.

Just a possible theroy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts