Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that the PO replaced the flywheel, I gave it a test fit to see if the two mate up properly before I raise the engine. I see two sets of holes in the flywheel and both are properly spaced so that it is possible to use either set.
Red arrow and yellow arrow:

The larger hole allows a lot of slop. but the smaller hole just doesn't seem right. Can someone shed some light on the correct holes please?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. I went back out to the shop to try something, and I found my problem. The smaller holes are the correct ones. I feel stupid, but couldn't delete the post. I left it as written incase it helps others. :doh0715:

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Yeah this is definitely not where you want a lot of slop.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see the spacer plate behind the flexplate :scratchhe
This was just a trial fit when I took the picture. I haven't installed it yet. good catch. Glad your on it.:beer

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
some torque converters have a drain plug next to one of the studs. the larger holes are so that one of them will line up with the drain plug and you can drain the fluid from the converter when changing trans fluid.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some torque converters have a drain plug next to one of the studs. the larger holes are so that one of them will line up with the drain plug and you can drain the fluid from the converter when changing trans fluid.
Aha! Mine has a drain plug and that explains that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't feel stupid, when I dropped my rebuilt 351 back into the bronco I had it all bolted back together before I realized I had forgotten the dust cover/spacer that goes between the flex plate and motor. Good times!

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
I've seen worse. I helped another member here pull the junk 350 out of his suburban. I wasn't there to help drop the new engine in, his uncle "helped." Jagoff ended up leaving a wiring clip and pinched the dizzy harness into the bellhousing.

To say we were pissed was an understatement. I have never cursed someone so much in my life. Luckily, we were able to pull all the bellhousing bolts (except the bottom-most ones) and pry the engine away from the trans to fish everything out. but the dizzy harness was destroyed, and then took 2 hours of driving to 3 different yards to find it.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Don't feel stupid, when I dropped my rebuilt 351 back into the bronco I had it all bolted back together before I realized I had forgotten the dust cover/spacer that goes between the flex plate and motor. Good times!

you're not the only one.

that damn plate is hanging on the wall in my barn waiting until the next time i have the trans out of my bronco... I have no intention of pulling the engine or dropping the trans JUST to put that damn cover back in.

·
I did done broke it
2,277 Posts
I've seen worse. I helped another member here pull the junk 350 out of his suburban. I wasn't there to help drop the new engine in, his uncle "helped." Jagoff ended up leaving a wiring clip and pinched the dizzy harness into the bellhousing.

To say we were pissed was an understatement. I have never cursed someone so much in my life. Luckily, we were able to pull all the bellhousing bolts (except the bottom-most ones) and pry the engine away from the trans to fish everything out. but the dizzy harness was destroyed, and then took 2 hours of driving to 3 different yards to find it.
That dent is still in the fender...we went to three parts stores and two junkyards

Side note: Mating the flywheel to the converter is so much easier on a chevy. I called Unfer to make sure I was doing it right because I scared of how easy it was going

1 - 11 of 11 Posts