Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We needed to take out the bolts that hold the back seat in and they were in there pretty good and one of them broke off. Few questions where can I get a bolt no hardware store has any, second what does someone suggest on how to get the broken bolt out. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,683 Posts
yo KP,
Remove the damaged bolt for the anchor reinforcement and discard. Install a new bolt with the same part number as indicated.
Contact local Ford dealership parts dept., they should provide a Source or have it in stock, because it is used for other applications.
Some have used a bolt extractor;
or weld, such as broken bolt removalby welding - Google Search

Rear Seat to Floor, Bronco
Font Auto part Gas Cylinder Drawing

ItemPart NumberDescription
155929-S2Screw (2 Req'd)
298605B28Plate, Rear Seat Cushion Scuff (1 Req'd) (LH Side Only)
3613A38Rear Seat Back Frame
4387871-S2Bolt (4 Req'd)
5383493-S2Washer
667412Latch Assembly — Rear Seat Cushion
7604K22Rear Seat Cushion Torsion Bar
8N804266-S2Screw (4 Req'd) (RH Side)
9385329-S2Bolt
1060514Rear Seat Back Pivot Bracket (1 Req'd) (LH Side Only)
11387871-S2Bolt
12383493-S2Washer
13111B42Rear Floor Pan Opening Cover Plate
1462440Rear Seat Back Latch Striker
15387871-S2Bolt
16378444-SPlug
1767438Check Spring
1867440Check Spring Retainer
1963160Rear Seat Cushion Frame
20382552-S100Washer
ATighten to 54-81 Nm
(40-60 Lb-Ft)
BTighten to 16-24 Nm
(12-18 Lb-Ft)
CTighten to 18-27 Nm
(13-20 Lb-Ft)

·
Registered
92 5.0 E4OD metallic root beer work in progress
299 Posts
I had a similar issue on mine. The head snapped off trying to remove it. We ended up heating it up with a small butane torch from underneath, and then used Vice grips to “screw” it out from the bottom

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
7 inch body lift on 35s should be able to get to it it’s the bolt that is inside the spring for the back seat. When you do the heat do you heat the actual bolt or around it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I had a similar issue on mine. The head snapped off trying to remove it. We ended up heating it up with a small butane torch from underneath, and then used Vice grips to “screw” it out from the bottom
I wasn't lucky enough for that method to work for me. I had to drill the bolt out. What a PITA that was.

·
Registered
92 5.0 E4OD metallic root beer work in progress
299 Posts
7 inch body lift on 35s should be able to get to it it’s the bolt that is inside the spring for the back seat. When you do the heat do you heat the actual bolt or around it. Thanks
We did both, but mine had a lot of rust. Just use your best judgement, and make sure not to use any sort of penetrating oil if you plan on using a torch. That stuffs extremely flammable. Don’t want to see you burning your Bronco to the ground 😎

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So drilled into the bolt and when trying to turn the extractor it snapped, then I realized I can just put the spring where it’s supposed to go and with the seat on top it ain’t going anywhere and if I really want to I can weld the spring directly to the bracket so the heck with Trying to get that bolt out. It doesn’t want to budge. I was going to use heat but we sprayed WD on it so didn’t want to do that.

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
500 Posts
When my dad and I broke mine he got the plasma torch out and burned right through it and we thru bolted it. I need to weld the nut so it becomes a one man job.

·
Registered
1988 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0 four speed auto Raven black with red interior
56 Posts
This is a really easy task that seems to always get made into a bigger ordeal than it needs to be. I Had to do mine as I needed to remove mine so I could get the rear carpet out to clean it and when I removed those brackets all bolts came out but one and it broke the head off. We have the absolute best access to these bolts more than most any bolt that can break on our Broncos so if ones going to break we want these to be the ones. You don't have to drill through the WHOLE bolt you just have to drill through the main part which is the part of the bolt that is in the threaded portion of the hole and just past it. I started with an 1\8in drill bit and worked my way up to the size drill bit that just fit inside of the threads of one of the good holes. I was able to spin the rest out by pliers from the underside and then chased the threads with a tap to be sure I didn't damage them in any way.
Took me maybe 10mins to do by myself. It probably took longer getting the tools together to do the job than the job.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That’s what we did we used a 5/32 bit which is the size we neeed to use based on the extraction but we got but once we go the extraction bit it the bolt wouldn’t move and we broke the extraction bitt. We also tried to loosen it from underneath and nothing wound make it move.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts