Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They can't find bomb parts, but they sure as hell found my swiss army knife, travel scissors and pen knife every time i've flown...

(March 17) -- Government investigators conducting undercover tests at 21 U.S. airports were able to get bomb materials through screening machines at all of them, ABC News has learned.

Investigators were able to get components for improvised explosive devices through airport security, but the Transportation Security Administration called the study "highly implausible."

The investigators sent through components of an improvised explosive device and common household chemicals, according to a report by the Government Accountability Office, the watchdog arm of Congress. Undercover agents carried a small amount of material that would need to be properly combined on the other side of the checkpoint to create a bomb. The material got past screeners and X-ray machines in every one of the 21 airports tested.

"I think security is still not where it needs to be," said Jerry Hauer, an ABC News consultant and terrorism expert. "At the end of the day, you can still get all the components through security that you need to assemble a bomb on the other side."

The report was ordered by Rep. John Mica, R-Fla., who said he wanted to see "how penetrable the passenger screening system is to explosive devices." He called the results "very disappointing."

Mica would not comment on any of the specifics of the report because it is classified.

Covert tests are a key part of testing the security system and are conducted by the Department of Homeland Security, which admitted it worried about explosive devices slipping through. It recently cut back on the list of banned items so screeners could concentrate on finding bomb-making material.

Since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, hidden weapons and simulated bombs have made it through checkpoints in hundreds of tests.

'Highly Implausible'

The Transportation Security Administration, the government agency that handles security at American airports, issued a statement in response to the report.

"While random items commonly found under a kitchen sink could conceivably be concocted into an IED, there are so many things that could go wrong with this hypothetical scenario that we find it highly implausible," it said.

A spokesman from the Department of Homeland Security said the study involved several investigators bringing different components through security.

ABC News' Dennis Powell, Ari Meltzer and Lisa Stark contributed to this report

·
Traveling FSB'er
1,099 Posts
jackhart said:
They can't find bomb parts, but they sure as hell found my swiss army knife, travel scissors and pen knife every time i've flown...
:stupid Same thing they have done to me!!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
You mean, the $6/hour security professionals didnt find the bomb parts, get outta here! Theres part of the problem, there hiring high school drop outs for bottom dollar, throw them in a 16 hour class and put them to work. They either dont know, dont care or are over worked, whatever the reason, the fault of this still lies on the government for not providing adaquet security by well trained professionals in sigificant numbers that are getting paid decent/competitive wages.

The job is only 1 or 2 notches up from dropping fries at McDonalds.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just got back from San Francisco. I took a total of 4 different planes from Memphis and back. I'm glad you waited until i got back before you posted this.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i think they get paid enough........ from some news article

Many of the privately employed screeners are getting jobs as federal screeners, earning between $23,600 and $35,400 a year plus health insurance, retirement benefits and paid leave. As private-sector screeners they generally earned about $10,000 a year, and often received no benefits.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The simple fact is, it is easier to identify a pair of nail clippers or a Swiss Army Knife than it is potential bomb-making elements.

Those items are dense and metallic, and very recognizable. A bomb needs very few metal parts, and thin shapeless plastics just don't show up that well on the x-ray. Put the explosive in a tube of toothpaste, with a partially modified cell phone, and you are completely reliant on the airports limited distribution of explosive scanners.

It is not what people want to hear, but you will never totally secure air travel. Combining the difficulty to detect these items, with the monotonous work of screening, and the desire of the airlines to keep things moving on time virtually assures there will always be gaps.

But, the trick is not necessarily to precent all potential breaches, but rather cause the terrorist or nutcase to believe that the chance of success is in question.

They may not mind dying for thier cause, but would you risk losing the 72 virgins if you didn't think you would make it. :toothless :doh0715:

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
kaudbron said:
i think they get paid enough........ from some news article

Many of the privately employed screeners are getting jobs as federal screeners, earning between $23,600 and $35,400 a year plus health insurance, retirement benefits and paid leave. As private-sector screeners they generally earned about $10,000 a year, and often received no benefits.
Many, its says... Not most, not all... Just many. Many could be 5% of the screeners.

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts
My friend Mike got a 3 inch spyderco knife, a pair of needlenose pliars, and something else illegal through Charlotte and Ft Lauderdale security on the way to the Bahamas last Thursday. It wasnt until we were on the way back through Bahamas security did they find it.

Seriously, Bahamas security found them when the US screeners missed them twice.

The funniest thing was when another person in our group went through and the Xray machine randomly chose his bag to "test" the screener. It put an image of a bigass dagger in his bag. The look on the guys face was priceless when it came across the screen. 3 or 4 TSA people surrounded the bag, the TV, my friend....who had no idea what was going on.

They kept asking him if he had anything he needed to tell them about and searched his bag while me and my friends gleefully embarrassed him with comments about how he should have checked his vibrators etc.

Maybe thats why Mike's sharp stuff.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,142 Posts
jackhart said:
Ha! You guys think you got it rough getting on a plane these days?!?
Try being made of metal! :banghead

:goodfinge
and the dipshits still can't find a legit bomb part to literally "save thier lives!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts