Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

negative creep
Discussion Starter #1
so my room mate ****ed his shit up in JV. it all started when he blew up a hub (which exploded his wheel hub, i'll get pics tomorrow). he realized only one axle was turning afterwards and we opened up his detroit yesterday....

notice the driver, center coupler, spring etc

teeth are chipped, a couple are bent

thats all thats left of the driver

thats whats left of the spring

and thats a 4340 superior cromo shaft with 1 trip on it

hes already bought a 60, but kinda sucks that it was the first trip for all those components. i hope all you 1/2 ton guys are paranoid, d44 + rocks + fullsize = kaboooom

Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
that must be some serious abuse you guys are diggin into down there!

(what's with the girly show sig Andy? You pimpin' yerself again? :goodfinge )

Registered
Johnson Valley (AKA The Hammers) is no joke for sure. Lots and lots of guys (myself included) have come back humbled from there. What trail were you running?

I had a front Detroit that looked just like that, and I blew a rear detroit the same way. Both times I was at Stoddard Valley, about 40 miles west of JV. I haven't bent my Chromo axles, though.

If you break a hub or an axle with a Detroit locker, expect to waste the locker, too. Only one time in 4 will the locker survive. That's based on real world experience and observation.

Registered
Agily00 said:
I'm afraid I'm going to hear the ka-boom the first time mine hits the trails. It already sounds expensive:cry
It is. But...you pay to play. If you're not willing to risk the break, stay on the bunny trails or just keep it a street rig. It helps to know how to fix your own stuff, because taking it to a shop to get it fixed when it breaks gets old real quick.

Harmful if swallowed
peteyg said:
It is. But...you pay to play. If you're not willing to risk the break, stay on the bunny trails or just keep it a street rig. It helps to know how to fix your own stuff, because taking it to a shop to get it fixed when it breaks gets old real quick.
Just have to nurse it until I can afford all that goes along with a 14bolt/60 swap. My front is at least open, so that takes some of the stress off, although the 35" SX's probably aren't helping any. It's too bad dodge uses a stupid unit bearing setup:banghead

FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
at first i saw the title and thought "andys rig never leaves the mall parking lot, how did he blow that thing up there? must have been some serious mall crawlin"

either way looks like some good carnage he should be proud of, this the roommate with the tundra? whats his wheelin rig?

wes

Registered
yeah my detroit is so strong in the 10 bolt that it just twists axle shafts off. But i feel the pain it sucks in a no full float axle like mine because your SOL until you fix it. Or in my case drag it off the trail.

o[|||]o
I can safely attest to the fact that at least my 9 inch detroit locker didn't fair well with shock loading (sudden traction). Nothing a welded 14 bolt shouldn't fix :toothless

negative creep
Discussion Starter #11
this was in the front of my room mates grand cherokee. not the one with the tundra, he doesn't wheel.

Lick my balls
bad day.

Bitchin.
Andy351 said:
this was in the front of my room mates grand cherokee. not the one with the tundra, he doesn't wheel.
thats why im goin' ARB. of course itll just be a more expensive blow up... :doh0715:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts