Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems getting there brake booster off? I have taken the 4 nuts off at the fire wall, disconnected the brake petal, and taken the master cylinder off but the Booster will not move....i have hammered on the bolts and pryed on the booster and nothing........any ideas??????:banghead

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Has anyone had problems getting there brake booster off? I have taken the 4 nuts off at the fire wall, disconnected the brake petal, and taken the master cylinder off but the Booster will not move....i have hammered on the bolts and pryed on the booster and nothing........any ideas??????:banghead
Why are you removing it?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Gotta ask, are you sure you got the right nuts removed at the firewall?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im replacing it because i lost all brake pressure and makes a whoosh sound when i press the petal and i think its either the master cylinder or the booster and its a 1986 so i figured i would go ahead and replace both since there stock parts....and i took the 4 nuts off the are right behind the booster that surround the booster rod that sticks through the firewall.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
im replacing it because i lost all brake pressure and makes a whoosh sound when i press the petal and i think its either the master cylinder or the booster and its a 1986 so i figured i would go ahead and replace both since there stock parts....and i took the 4 nuts off the are right behind the booster that surround the booster rod that sticks through the firewall.
Ok this might help - booster only assisted in making the pedal lighter, if its really hard to press than its the booster. If it goes to the floor than its not the booster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok....well when the truck is running its really really really easy to push the petal down and makes an whoosh air sound and i have no brakes but when the truck is off and i press the petal a couple times then the petal will get harder and harder to push like its supposed to do...... i tryed to bleed the brakes thinking that there might be air in the lines....the rear bled fine but when i tried to bleed the front no air or brake fluid came out..like i wasnt getting any pressure of any kind...there are no leaks or kinks.. i looked...is it possible for only half the master cylinder to work so that the rear gets pressure but the front does not??

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
ok....well when the truck is running its really really really easy to push the petal down and makes an whoosh air sound and i have no brakes but when the truck is off and i press the petal a couple times then the petal will get harder and harder to push like its supposed to do...... i tryed to bleed the brakes thinking that there might be air in the lines....the rear bled fine but when i tried to bleed the front no air or brake fluid came out..like i wasnt getting any pressure of any kind...there are no leaks or kinks.. i looked...is it possible for only half the master cylinder to work so that the rear gets pressure but the front does not??
Ok so the booster is fine, our broncos take a lot of fluid so you could still have air behind all that clear fluid, I always put a couple jugs through mine to be sure. Might have a bad MC, did you make any changes to your brakes for this to happen? Replace a line? Also the Rear brakes give you the firmness, so your likely looking at that are for your problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just swapped mine out, ended up replacing it the mc and the right caliper. Check for leaks around your wheel cylinders and calipers. I also had to pry mine off too though.( literally pulled the bolt out of the booster before it released but my issue was the nuts had rusted to the bolt.) When my booster went out it would make a high pitched whistle that would last for a few seconds then go away if I either accelerated or hit the brake. But Bossind is right check the other things first could save you some money.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just swapped mine out, ended up replacing it the mc and the right caliper. Check for leaks around your wheel cylinders and calipers. I also had to pry mine off too though.( literally pulled the bolt out of the booster before it released but my issue was the nuts had rusted to the bolt.) When my booster went out it would make a high pitched whistle that would last for a few seconds then go away if I either accelerated or hit the brake. (went away after replacing it) But Bossind is right check the other things first could save you some money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.