Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I ended up doing something stupid a while back and I've been trying to fix it since.

So, when I moved my Bronco to the new house a few months back, the transfer was stuck in 4-low. I had parked it like that on an inclined driveway and left it that way for a few months. Anyways, to get it unstuck, I yanked out the shift motor and shifted it manually. Managed to get the bronco to my new house, but when I tried to reinstall the shift motor, I decided to take it apart to get the keyed shaft lined back up to the 2-High position. Long story short, I ended up snapping the motor bushings. Now, rather than spend $80 on a new motor, I'm hoping I can replacing the motor brushes.

Has anybody else attempted this, or perhaps, know what size brushes I need to get? I can't find any specifics online. I've rebuilt electric motor brushes before so the process isn't a problem. Its simply finding the new brushes I can throw in.

So, what size motor brushes should I get to rebuild the shift motor?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Well, I ended up doing something stupid a while back and I've been trying to fix it since.

So, when I moved my Bronco to the new house a few months back, the transfer was stuck in 4-low. I had parked it like that on an inclined driveway and left it that way for a few months. Anyways, to get it unstuck, I yanked out the shift motor and shifted it manually. Managed to get the bronco to my new house, but when I tried to reinstall the shift motor, I decided to take it apart to get the keyed shaft lined back up to the 2-High position. Long story short, I ended up snapping the motor bushings. Now, rather than spend $80 on a new motor, I'm hoping I can replacing the motor brushes.

Has anybody else attempted this, or perhaps, know what size brushes I need to get? I can't find any specifics online. I've rebuilt electric motor brushes before so the process isn't a problem. Its simply finding the new brushes I can throw in.

So, what size motor brushes should I get to rebuild the shift motor?
Well, I'll bet that there not more than a dozen folks here that even know what motor brushes are, let alone how to change them, or where to even look for them. I respect your optimism in looking for them. In our disposable society, replacement brushes will probably be as hard to find as unicorn horns.
I googled and found three electric motor rewinding services in Lafayette, if you haven't tried them, that's where I'd start. If they rewind dc motors, they probably have a way to make or modify motor brushes to fit your motor. (I have an Army buddy that lives in Lafayette, but he worked at Subaru and I doubt he ever owned a Ford, he'd be no help!)
If you can find something close (and the brush leads are not attached to the brushes), brushes are pretty soft material, a little sanding to make them fit is an option. (Don't use emery, it contains metallic particles that you don't want floating around in the motor nor embedded into the soft brush material.)
Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts