Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i did a search, but didnt awnser my question, even searched there web site, so ill ask yall, i was told that my truck more than likely had the NP208, but today i was working on my breaks and noticed my T-case said borg warner, and was wondering how i tell what kind of case it is, i cant find a tag anywere, but under the borg warner stamp it says 13-48-...... i cant read the other numbers, so how do i tell what kind of t-case this is is it a BW 1348 or something else? also what is the advantages to havein a borg warner VS. a new process?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you have a BW 1348. Do a search for oiling problems, otherwise they are pretty good cases with a nice low range ratio.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Here's a slightly broken 208 t/case:

You my have a 1345, which looks very similar, but has more ribs/fins on it.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Just wondering what caused that 208 to fail like that bronco boy:popc1:

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
From what I've seen, the aluminum case models are all pretty much the same quality-wise. The upgrade is when you go to cast iron New Process tcases, but you lose the good low range.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Thanks guys i missed that thread thought it might be from hi centering but wasn't quit sure:thumbup

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
78moneypit said:
Just wondering what caused that 208 to fail like that bronco boy:popc1:
Turns out that his front driveshaft was to long, so when he hit a big rock trying to climb a hill, the "lack of" compression forced the shaft backwards and hit nowhere to go, but thru the t/case. :cry

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Thanks I'm in the proses of installing a 208 for front drive line e40d side clearance i will do a full flex front and rear drive shaft measurement now. That's for sure thanks you thank you very much:twotu:

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
78moneypit said:
Thanks I'm in the proses of installing a 208 for front drive line e40d side clearance i will do a full flex front and rear drive shaft measurement now. That's for sure thanks you thank you very much:twotu:
No doubt man, that'll ruin your day on the trail with the quickness!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I remember looking at my haynes man. and there is a diff. style 13xx BW case...I think it was a 1348 and I think it was a manual shift were the 1356 was avail. in both man. and elec. shift.

The 1356 is WAY more common, and std in all 1992+ f150's if I recall.

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its not broken, i was replacing my e-brake lines and saw it stamped borg warner, but i still dont understand why i have borg warner in an 86 if its meant for a 92+, i had misspelt brakes in my inital post, are there and advantages/disadvantages to haveing the borg warner to the np208

·
Registered
435 Posts
Bronco 1980-1986 : Borg-Warner 1345

Bronco 1987-1996 : Borg-Warner 1356

Does this sound right?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
There's a link to transfer case ID from www.truckpulls.com in their tech files. (I am unable to post the link here for some reason.)

I would re-check the numbers, you should have the B-W 13-45 in the 86 Bronco. The case has fins everywhere, whereas the NP208 is nearly smooth. Both are chain driven, aluminum cases with a similar low-range ratio. If you ever go looking for parts or a used case, I think the NP208 is more common in the mid-80's Bronco.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Steve83 said:
No. Most '80-86 Broncos got the NP-208F, but some got the BW1356. I've only seen 1345s on F250s.
equivalent said:
yea all the 80-86 BKOs ive seen had NP208. not once have a seen the borg warner in a 80-86. must be one of those flukes.
Both my '85s have had BW1345's, and I've seen many others.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts