Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody try a Borgeson steering shaft?? Curios on how well it works. Does it help with the Bronco wandering we all know so well?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
I have seen em in catalogs for years, never known anyone to have one...good question

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
I am running one in my bronco...you can feel a difference but if you are wandering all over the road you have more of an issue than just a bad steering shaft.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had one on my 85 ramcharger and it made a big difference, but as what was said earlier if it is wandering all over the road , you have more of an issue than a steering shaft. Good solid piece , for the money i even sold it when i got rid of the truck i sold it and got 150 for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The shaft has closer tolerances, still allows slip joint in case of a crash and also has a dampner (optional). It is a must buy. The only thing that will fix a Bronco from wandering is upgraded steering package. I bought the Superlift SuperRunner package and it was night and day. It is pricey but I bought it for the long haul. Before I did that, I replace the Tie Rods, Track Bar, Drag Link, and all the bushings. Helped until I saved up for the Superlift and SuperRunner Kit. I love my Superlift Stuff.

·
Registered
857 Posts
When I was looking into getting one for my truck (they don't make one for a '96), I noticed one of the main differences was the Borgeson used a universal joint:

...and the factory one uses a rag joint:

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,857 Posts
you can buy just the universal joints. I would have just replaced the rag joint wit ha universal joint if I knew that back then

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I'm overhauling my steering soon, and I'll be doing the u-joint thing. Thanks for the tip Fireguy, I didn't know about that. :beer

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tire Pressure has alot to do with big tire truck handling! try 30 psi all the way around if you use 35psi now, Experiment with it 35 psi front 30 rear, etc.. If all the steering parts are tight it could cure the wandering! A guy I wheel with was complaining about it bump steering and wandering, He was running 45psi in 38's well duhh man, just because it says it can take it doesn't mean you have to run it!! He also ended up not getting stuck or near to stuck as he used to!!

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
i got one in my 78 and i love it, but i were to do it again i would get a 250's shaft that is already double jointed

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I went ahead and bought one from Summit Racing. It got here in 2 days with Federal Express and no extra charge!!! I havent installed it yet but it looks like a sturdy and very well made shaft. It looks like a miniature drive shaft with u-joints on both ends. As long as I don't have to cut it down it should be an easy install. I'll post a pic later.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
Well, I went ahead and bought one from Summit Racing. It got here in 2 days with Federal Express and no extra charge!!! I havent installed it yet but it looks like a sturdy and very well made shaft. It looks like a miniature drive shaft with u-joints on both ends. As long as I don't have to cut it down it should be an easy install. I'll post a pic later.
I had to cut mine down to get it to work, also rattle can it black (or color of your choice) to keep it from rusting.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts