Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A year ago or perhaps more... I bought a 96 Ford E250 for the 5.8L Roller Block engine, Mass Air and computer, plans where and still are to build a 393 stroker with that engine. Now another opportunity presented it's self to me less than 2 weeks ago - a wreaked low miles 96 EB Bronco with a 5.8L, which of course I bought. Running parallel to that deal I also landed a set of GT40Y alloy heads to replace the ones currently in my 5.0 Bronco with a burnt valve.

Lots on the go... Now the new plan.

The 393 Build will still proceed, once I gain enough parts to build it right. So I'll continue to collect parts as deals present themselves, and in a year or 2 I'll build it.

So for now I have a burnt valve 5.0 in my 96 bronco, still runs great, but the ticking is driving me crazy. My plan was to simply swap the heads but that has now changed with the recent purchase of this lower mileage Bronco 5.8L. I will overhaul this engine on a low cost budget to give me a daily driver and a few extra HP would be welcome.

Lets begin with a list of parts I have. (This will grow and change I'm sure)

-Fel-Pro Gasket set
-High Volume Oil Pump
-GT 40 Lower intake for a 5.8L (Still need an Upper)
-E303 Cam, its in my 5.0, if I can't find something better at a fair price I'll reuse it.
-GT40Y heads, ready to be used.
-New Oil Pan
-Manifold studs

Parts I need or would like:

-1.6 Roller Rockers
-GT 40 Upper intake
-Ring and bearings (Yet to be determined)
-New motor mounts (Might make them)
-headers (but can upgrade latter if need be)

So here is the Donor.

With the engine on an engine stand I pressure washed it and looked it over.

I started to strip the engine down, broke only to head exhaust manifold studs.

Roller Lifters confirmed

I sand blasted the lower intake, hoping I won't have to use it but you never know and I had some time to kill so I might as well clean it up.

Its amazing how bad the casting are around the ports, I cleaned them up with a die grinder.

I than painted it with my favorite rim paint, I've had luck with this on other engine parts currently on my bronco engine.

More to follow

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought some wire wheels for the grinder today and took at it, sure worked good and made short work of the areas I could reach - only thing is those dam wire wheel sure hurt like hell when the little wires fly off and stab you. I also pulled the oil pan as a friend needs one and I have a new one. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
boss, you dont need the GT40 upper, you just need the regular upper right? The GT40 has the offest tubes doesnt it? If so, I might be able to go pull one for you and ship. There are a lot of regular 5.0 uppers at the local yard.
I need the GT40 or explorer upper intake (8 holes - off set in pairs), I'm just preparing the stock intake in case I have to use.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha. Were you using the wire wheels on a air die grinder? Those things aren't meant to handle 22k RPM. lol. 1/2'' drill does the job just fine.
NO I was using an electric 5" Makita Grinder

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so here are the pics from the wire brush cleaning, obvious I'm not finished yet and keep in mind I was using a 5" Makita Grinder so its big a bulky, its not going to get into those tight spots - still though it did a pretty good job. Also I'm replacing the heads so I'm not spending any time on cleaning them.

Once I get the timing cover off I'll be able to clean the block more.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey i pm'ed you about you bronco's smog equipment. i was just wandering what you did to keep the obdII from throwing codes for the secondary air injection. you used a 351 idler and removed the air pump, right?
I upgraded my cats to a non smog pump cat first. No codes where thrown.

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,976 Posts
You gonna sand blast it? That #4 looks real good, did you clean on it? That's in really good shape. Any ridges in the cylinder walls?

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You gonna sand blast it? That #4 looks real good, did you clean on it? That's in really good shape. Any ridges in the cylinder walls?
I thought about sand blasting it but since this is only and intern engine till the 393 stroker engine is built, I will not go through the trouble of blasting and the challenge of cleaning it out of all the passages.

I have not cleaned the pistons yet, thats the way they looked, no ridge and the walls are perfectly smoothed.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats weird because my roller 5.0 uses a double.
Maybe someone changed it? I had my bronco since it was new and it was a single roller as was the engine we just built for the cobra.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alrighty lets get back to this build... I'm at the point I have to decide to change the rings or not. Everything is still within specs so I could run it just as is. But now is a good time to upgrade a few things. Should I replace the rings and if I do what type? Lookign at the speed pro moly rings but they are around 150.00 for the set - worth it? Cheaper now than later though.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Got a round to plastic gauging the bearings today, everything was 2 thousands clearance, except the rear main was a hair over. So for the cost of bearings I will replace all of them.

I than cleaned the engine some more and coated it with some paint. Sorry for the poor blackberry pics.

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,234 Posts
Wish more people would paint blocks black... does wonders for appearance when it comes to leaking oil or gunk..... On the other hand, it does make it a little harder to detail (if you're into that kinda shit)..

Looking good!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts