Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 498 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My bud Todd learning why its good to wear proper cloths when using a plasma cutter. He's notching the factory trans mount to make room for the new cross member. This way we can fab it all up before removing the old.

DSC05747.jpg

Here is the cut front cross member using the plasma cutter.

DSC05744.jpg

Cutting the transmount to size

DSC05746.jpg

Tacking it in place

DSC05749.jpg

I wanted to attach it on the bottom of the frame using holes already there, still need to do some triming but its getting there.
DSC05750.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
1clean5.8 said:
Looks good are you going to get rid of the PS lines and run a Cooler up front??
Sure am, I got a cooler in the shed just waiting to be put to use. :) Oh and who ever said that a PS doesn't get warm has never placed their hands on those lines! lol

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
bossind said:
Sure am, I got a cooler in the shed just waiting to be put to use. :) Oh and who ever said that a PS doesn't get warm has never placed their hands on those lines! lol
I was thinking of running my Power steering through the radiator tranny cooler since I'm swapping to a manual trans is this a good idea or a bad idea?

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
ToddACimer said:
I was thinking of running my Power steering through the radiator tranny cooler since I'm swapping to a manual trans is this a good idea or a bad idea?
I'm interested in info on this also. I plan on usin my existing tranny cooler for the p/s and swapping in the hd cooler from my parts F250.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Im not so sure its a good idea. The PS system puts out alot more line pressure than the transmission does. Plus, thats basically ensuring your steering system is going to run at 195º. I would (well, did) just install a seperate cooler for it in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
reptillikus said:
Im not so sure its a good idea. The PS system puts out alot more line pressure than the transmission does. Plus, thats basically ensuring your steering system is going to run at 195º. I would (well, did) just install a seperate cooler for it in front of the radiator.

Well yeah I would use my existing tranny cooler and move it to the drivers side in front of the rad. then replace it with the F250 one (which is twice as big). Now reading this stuff it seems pressure is my only real consideration.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Joes93Bronco said:
Well yeah I would use my existing tranny cooler and move it to the drivers side in front of the rad. then replace it with the F250 one (which is twice as big). Now reading this stuff it seems pressure is my only real consideration.
tranny cooler from an 89, now cools my PS absolute best shiznit...stock and cheap and bolts right in, no need to even drill, kid you not, Crazed runs the same thing....

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
reptillikus said:
The return line desn't have much for pressure but still I would perfer it being on its own cooler. I'm also running a hydro brake system so I should have ran a cooler anyways.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Shadofax said:
tranny cooler from an 89, now cools my PS absolute best shiznit...stock and cheap and bolts right in, no need to even drill, kid you not, Crazed runs the same thing....

Yeah I have something very simular, think mine came off of an f250. I'll dig it out soon and install it.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Ok trans mount is done, I think it turned out pretty good.

DSC05753.jpg

DSC05758.jpg

DSC05760.jpg

DSC05765.jpg

DSC05766.jpg

Now all I need to do is figure out were to mount the cage radius arm mounts. I don't have an axle cause its at another shop so I can't mock it up. Wonder if Shadofax can provide me the measurement from the rear frame alignment stud to the center of the hiem or back of the mount. Shadofax, please?

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
That turned out pretty nice. With the Cage arms how far ahead of the tranny mount will the radius arms mount couldnt you have incorporated the radius arm brackets into the crossmember?

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
ToddACimer said:
That turned out pretty nice. With the Cage arms how far ahead of the tranny mount will the radius arms mount couldnt you have incorporated the radius arm brackets into the crossmember?

I was thinking about that, and I may do so later on but right now I'm going to get it togeather see were ever thing fits in and than tweek it over time.

Oh and Thanks for the comment!!

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, keep posting pics

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Heres the cooler I'm using for my powersteering, I think I took it off of an f250. Picking stuff up at the junk yard all the time and I've had this for sometime now. Never know when your going to need something.

DSC05752.jpg

Check out the bolt grade.

DSC05736.jpg

Just a differant angle shot of the trans mount.

DSC05763.jpg

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
That tranny cooler was an option on F150's with 351's and tow packages it's bigger than the stock tranny coolers on Bronco's

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,807 Posts
bossind said:
View attachment 2391

QUOTE]

if this is facing the front wont it fill with crap if your out playing. could you put a plate to cover that and open the bottom for access to the bolts?

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
kemicalburns said:
bossind said:
View attachment 2391

QUOTE]

if this is facing the front wont it fill with crap if your out playing. could you put a plate to cover that and open the bottom for access to the bolts?
It could but its only a couple inches deep. The main pipe is sealed and the trans. pan would hit first. I have a skid plate plained in the very near future.

thanks.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,807 Posts
oh cool, very nice crossmember

41 - 60 of 498 Posts