Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had any luck just redoing the bottom end on a 351W? I bought an 87 Bronco from a girl, and she let the oil filter leak to the point where all the bearing's are shot. I took it apart and most of the rod bearings and some of the main's look pretty bad. It had good compression and the cylinder's look real good. The motor didnt smoke and had good power, it just had no oil pressure and rattled when you stepped on the gas. The cam lobes all look good and the lifter's are'nt dished out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the 351 is a good engine. If there is no damage to the block I'd fix it. Good luck

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
blugrass19 said:
Anybody had any luck just redoing the bottom end on a 351W?
I dont rely on luck for any of my engine builds.... but ya you should be ok if you get the heads/valve seals checked out while your there.

·
Registered
787 Posts
What do the journals on the crank look like?
Is there any scoring, burn marks, gouges, or any kind of wear that you can see?

If not then just measure the journals to see how much they deviate from specs (if any), and go from there.

If they're off then you'll have to get the crank cut, and use oversize bearings. .010" on the mains, and rods is typical for a decent used crank just to true up the surfaces. If it needs more than .020" to clean them up I'd just look for another crank to use.

-Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was going to do, just have the crank turned and put it back together. With new timing chain, and gear's. Maybe it'll last another year, then I'll buy a new rebuilt engine. The thing just ran so good I hated to tear it apart, but without oil pressure it would just get worse and worse.
And all that rattling, Probably sling a rod down through the wood's before to much longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts