Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up Monday a 1986 with 351 Cleveland (Reman engine with 20K) NEW carb, Rebuilt Drive train (everything, trans, transfer, both pumpkins)
Trying to get some MPG out of it.
3 speed Auto, thinking of going to an OD transmission.
Any other ideas?
Will post pics when I pick up the truck

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
it does not have a Cleveland in it, unless someone swapped one in.

OD will cost alot of money, and it will take years to recover from the swap to overdrive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agreed, should be a 351 windsor. there is a fuel milage tips/tricks list on here. if i find it i'll post the link

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motor IS NEW 20K ago, father of the owner said son was happy to get a Cleveland, so until I get the truck I am sticking to my GUESS.
There was YEARS AGO an OD you could ADD to the tail section on a trans if my old brain remembers, has ANYONE heard of that one?
Also going to look at the CFM on the carb.
Thahk you

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
buy a honda if you're looking for mpg, otherwise you'll be between 9 and 12 with a carb.
Trying to do BETTER than the 2007 2500 Chevy Suburban we have.
Bronco will be for towing some trailer back and forth to our land (30 miles each direction) and MAYBE some longer runs. WE have the Ranger for MPG BUT if I can eek out some decent MPG the boss will be happy sine I talked her into rescuing this one from a life of MUD BOGS which is what the other person looking at it wanted it for.
Thanks for the input, will wait till I have the truck in hand on Monday to see what else I want to do, HOPE very little.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The motor is BATTLESHIP gray in color ALL of it, I Thought that was a MARINE engine color, or is it ???

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
If you want gas mileage you certainly bought the wrong vehicle...:cry especially with a 3 speed tranny.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If money is not a issue, take it to a dyno shop and dial the cab in to the proper AF ratio. lean to a point is WAY better then pig rich in the long run. Re-jetting leaner is the key to happy time for the engine.............Keep tires to make pressure and drive like there is a egg under your foot.n Run a 190 thermo helps more then a 180 thermostat.

Depends on your route, less hills the better

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree that if good fuel mileage is wanted then you bought the wrong vehicle.Even the newer fuel injected models are lucky to get 14-15 mpg and again that is being driven in optimum conditions with an egg under the skinny pedal and using an overdrive.

The money you will spend trying to eek out an extra mile or two per gallon other than a good efficient tune up will take decades to pay for themselves in regards to the mileage per gallon gained versus the cost of the upgrades.

If you want great gas mileage buy a Honda civic, if you want the enjoyment these Bronco's give their owners then there is a price to pay at the pump.

I really like my Bronco but only drive it once or twice a week. Economically driving it everyday and everywhere as my daily driver would quickly make me fall out of love due to the high operating expense.

When I do drive her I could care less about what she cost to operate, sort of like a high maintenience woman, is the ride worth the price of admission? Only you can answer that one!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I drive mine everyday as my comute is under 5 miles per day, WAY better then tearing up a new car on such a short run and NO car payment.......

Tuning your car for MPG ALSO HELPS it live way longer, so it a GOOD investment in the long run.......................

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
To all the douchebags, when did he say he bought it for gas mileage? He didnt, he just wants to see if he can get better mileage. So lay off the Honda jokes and go kick rocks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The motor is BATTLESHIP gray in color ALL of it, I Thought that was a MARINE engine color, or is it ???
Not sure about 86, but in 87 Ford started painting their engine "Ford Grey".

When I rebuilt the Motor in the 89 I went back with "Ford Dark Blue" instead of the factory "Ford Grey", I didn't care too much for the grey.

If it was me, I'd get a AOD. and put it in the bronco. You would need an AOd trans, cross member for a 86 AOD, and a tv cable kickdown kit from Lokar to tie the AOD to the carb. (or built it yourself)

If you really want better mileage, keep your foot out the 4bbl. lol. I know its hard

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I want to go fast I drive a vintage modified, if I want REAL GOOD MPG I drive the 2003 Vette which is around 26+ on highway.
This is my 4th FSB
1996 Eddie Bauer bought new with 5.0 could not pull my boat
1995 XLT PO had killed the 4x4 thought I would fix it, Bought the Modified
1994 Ran great but needed a LOT of TLC to make nice for wife, sold
Bought a 2005 Rover LR3 for wife and a 1995 Rover Discovery for me, got an offer on the Discovery so it went, now I have the Bronco.
Will ditch the ignition for a POINTS system, drop down to a 500 cfm and just drive for fun.
Gas $$$ does not bother me at all BUT the wife watches it like a hawk so number over single digit are GOOD.
Thanks for the input and your time, yes I understand the MPG joke that is why I have the Ranger as a go to cheap run truck.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
I used to get upwards of 15mph with my '84 351HO. In my experience a carb that is dialed in right will get a few mph more than EFI (on a Ford anyways). Post a pic of the motor, I have a real hard time believing its a cleveland. 351C wont bolt up to a windsor trans.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
Telling this guy to do anything other than a tune up and adjust the carb or swap in an OD trans is wasting his time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts