Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had been searching for a cheap van that had all the seats and stuff in it for hauling the boat to the lake and maybe camping out of throughout the good portion of the year. I found a95' Dodge B250 not to far away with all the things I wanted and what seamed to be in good enough condition to enjoy for about a year or so.

I drove to my home from from where we bought it roughly 65 miles and it ran up the Interstate just fine 65-75mph. It was by no mean perfect, and what research I had done before buying it didn't prepare me for the frame rot issues that these vans are notorious for particularly the drivers side one around where the steering box attaches. The hole wasn't there until I started picking at it and removed 5lbs of what used to be a frame rail.

So it's pretty awesome as you can see. I am not going to give up however as bad as things look the frame rail that is bad is fairly easy to replace with the help of a donor van I found at the local pic a part yard.

I did get the AC working good the thing has dual AC and heat and despite the rust it is really comfortable.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:cry All the shame of owning a Ford with 50% of the regret of owning a Chevrolet.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes unfortunately I think they consider this one a unibody. I had tried to type in things on a Google search like Dodge Ram typical problems thinking I may find something like look at the frame rails up front. Like I said before there is a donor van at ye old auto parts yard. Dodge made it easy to replace the rail if you have the where with all to dive into such an endeavor. But you better have access to a used van cause the parts are no longer made to repair it with new parts from what I can gather.

I guess we'll see how it fares here next vehicle I get will be a tad more expensive and hopefully in way better shape. I'm really trying to stay off the project train for a little while.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,677 Posts
ok... here ya go!

what are friends for? :goodfinge

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks PePe you're great.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
That'll never get better if you keep picking at it...

Is that area behind the steering box where you can't see it until the box is removed?

You're lucky your yard will allow power tools to cut out a frame section.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CJREX :histerica

We got a good frame rail and this job may be easier than I originally anticipated.

The cut on the front panel.

The rear cut.

At the last chance garage. Ready to support it's new Dodge.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A gem it is too. I will be on the hunt for some shag-a-dellic carpet for it next.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They don't make a chin spoiler for these things. You can get it for the older vans though.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha Ha I could be Mother

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
And the Levi's denim seat cloth! Don't forget that!

After this, you need to change your username to "Rochambeau."

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
A van chin spoiler only works if it also has quad headlights & R-W&B stripes.

<waits to see how many old farts recognize the obscure reference> :popc1:
did it have quad headlights, cant remember
the chin spoilers were cool
specially with flares and fat wheels filling them out

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did it have quad headlights, cant remember
the chin spoilers were cool
specially with flares and fat wheels filling them out
If I came across a Dodge or Plymouth van that was is good condition from the 70's I'd be tempted to swap this vans drivetrain over.

I am going to install a dvd navi type stereo in this thing next need to find a decent one that is a single din type.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,677 Posts
some inspiration from the proper angle... :goodfinge

Old vans like those were what inspired me to get into Auto Body R&R as a kid. Unfortunately, by the time I graduated w/my A.A.S. in '89, everybody wanted tear-drops and water splashes and super lame, over simplistic crap.

These days... if I were to seriously consider getting a van, it would have to be something a little more like this...

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
There's a guy here in WA selling a '74 Quadravan; the outside looks OK, but needs an interior. If I run into the ad, I'll post it up. That red one looks really good.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I always liked the Quigley 4x4 conversions, though my personal preference would be an Excursion platform to start with.

But if you want true van-as-art inspiration, look no farther than Japan...

And don't forget to dress up the interior a bit...

1 - 20 of 87 Posts