Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I bought this truck today and was told it was a '78 or '79 Bronco chassis. It's got a dana 60 rear end I believe, that was never available on a bronco right? I don't know what front diff is in it, but it's 8 lug drum. The guy told me the motor was a 460, 460's and 8 lug front's weren't available on a bronk. So maybe you guys might have a better idea of what this thing is? Here's some pics and some more questions, thanks in advance fellers.:thumbup
Any clue what year this cab is?

This is a dana 60 isn't it?

Okay the motor is supposed to be a fresh 460, it says dove on the intake and the #'s on the heads are D3VE-A2A. Any ideas on what these heads are off of? Any info at all would be great.:thumbup

Pretty bare bones on the inside:

Can anyone ID this front axle? I'll give you a spoon full of gravy if you can:toothless

These look like lift springs to me, but I'm not sure:

It came w/ some extras too:

If anyone is interested in this turd, let me know. It's prolly gonna get parted out. Thanks :drinkbud

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
what kind of alternator is that

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
looks like a 67a 2g from here.

That things cool, would rather have that then that Heep.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
looks like a 67a 2g from here.

That things cool, would rather have that then that Heep.
was way off... but not about the heep;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
you sure about that 3 in the casting number?
Both the 429 and 460 used the same head. 320ish hp 2bbl, 360ish hp 4bbl (gross not net hp)
D=1970's decade

3=year 3 of that decade

V=lincoln

E=engine part

unfortuanatly you have the smog year heads the best dove heads to get were the c9ve heads (1969) or dove (1970) they were very very desirable. They have small combustion chambers. I think they are around 50cc's compared to 80 or so on the later smog motors. (1971 and up) Mine was factory rated about 380hp/ 485lb./ft. The A2A at the end of the number were revision numbers, nothing major though. If you need more info just ask:thumbup

*edit

as for your intake im not to sure exactly what the B suffix at the end of the number on the intake stands for, but that number was there basic 4bbl manifold that came on many cars from special order mach 1's to the the 429 police interceptors an so on. hope i helped some

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Well if they went through all the work of putting the cab on there I'm sure the motor probably isn't orginal. The axles could have easily been swapped in too..

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
With drums up front? I don't think so....could be, but I just don't see why someone would go through the trouble.

Is the front closed or open knuckle?

·
Bitchin.
1,871 Posts
workin with what ya got. its probably a 44. get pics of the back of the diff, the knuckles, and those hubs. the back of the diff should have a different structural housing if it is truly a D44 HD.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
84x4bronco said:
workin with what ya got. its probably a 44. get pics of the back of the diff, the knuckles, and those hubs. the back of the diff should have a different structural housing if it is truly a D44 HD.
I'll get the pics, how comparable is a d44hd vs. d60?
4Wheelin Rust bucket said:
you sure about that 3 in the casting number?
Both the 429 and 460 used the same head. 320ish hp 2bbl, 360ish hp 4bbl (gross not net hp)
D=1970's decade

3=year 3 of that decade

V=lincoln

E=engine part

unfortuanatly you have the smog year heads the best dove heads to get were the c9ve heads (1969) or dove (1970) they were very very desirable. They have small combustion chambers. I think they are around 50cc's compared to 80 or so on the later smog motors. (1971 and up) Mine was factory rated about 380hp/ 485lb./ft. The A2A at the end of the number were revision numbers, nothing major though. If you need more info just ask:thumbup

*edit

as for your intake im not to sure exactly what the B suffix at the end of the number on the intake stands for, but that number was there basic 4bbl manifold that came on many cars from special order mach 1's to the the 429 police interceptors an so on. hope i helped some
I'm pretty sure about the #'s. Thanks for all that info, that's what I needed to know:thumbup :drinkbud
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
That is freakin sweet. Where the hell to you find these deals?!?!?!?

That's a late 40's Willy's. A friend of mine is in the process of swapping a '48 Willy's cab and bed on to his 83 1-ton Chevy.
I got this from the same guy I got the CJ-5 from, he is a has a endless supply of shit.
muddinBronc said:
Well if they went through all the work of putting the cab on there I'm sure the motor probably isn't orginal. The axles could have easily been swapped in too..
Kinda what I thought too, I'm gonna measure the wheelbase when I get it home. Anyone know '78 Bronco wheelbase or mid '70 ford trucks?

·
Registered
606 Posts
thats a 1947 willys truck. prolly a low pinion, drum brake 44 from like a 75 or so f-250 along with a dana 60 rear 16 or 18, its the sucky gay coarse splined one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
STUPID said:
Anyone know '78 Bronco wheelbase or mid '70 ford trucks?

i think the bronco was the shortist wheelbase in the ford truck line up, at about 104 for 78-79 the 80-94 were 105 if i recal correclty, then u got the classic broncos. ide say anyrhing over 105 is defently a pickup

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
:stupid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts