Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my SAAB. 1986 SAAB 900 SPG. 1 of only 1,498 vehicles sold in North America that year. 1 of about 7600 SPGs EVER sold in North America (from 84-92). Still needs some work to get her in to tip-top shape, but I'm lovin her already. Turbocharged 2-litre putting out 160hp and 175ftlb (no, those numbers aren't backward), only thing that would make me happier is if I could figure out a way to make it AWD :toothless

Picture time:

And the best part is, I'm keeping the Bronco too! :thumbup

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
I have an aunt who drives nothing but Saab's, she seems to get a new one every 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? The warranty is longer than that on new ones... and if you change the fluids regularly they last forever (this one has over 260k on it, and I'll probably put another 50-100 on it before a rebuild, the only leaks it has are the valve cover seal and the rear seal)

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
:histerica
I will never forget the first time i drove a saab i spent ten minutes finding the ignition when ever i hear the word saab i think of the movie one flew over the cuckoos nest:histerica :thumbup​
hard to find one that nice congrats.

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
Ubermich said:
Why? The warranty is longer than that on new ones... and if you change the fluids regularly they last forever (this one has over 260k on it, and I'll probably put another 50-100 on it before a rebuild, the only leaks it has are the valve cover seal and the rear seal)
She doesn't get new ones because she has problems with them, she gets new ones because she's one of those people that just gets new cars all the time.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
PowerB said:
Nice car. I think saab and volvo are two companies that last the longest(mileage)
I haven't heard good things about newer Volvo's lasting as long as the older models. Lots of maintenance such as ball joints every 30k miles, expensive bulbs burning out all the time, etc.

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Some of the imports use some darn funky bulbs Blue.
When I worked at Pepboys last summer, you could tell the Volvo owners looking for bulbs. They'd look up the number, search the dispaly, go back and look up the number again, look at the display again.....and after about 20 min come up to the counter and say "I can't find the bulb I need"
-"is it a Volvo?"
-"Yes"
-"We don't stock it"
Then they'd get mad about having to go to the dealer. Well, you bought the yuppymobile!

Tina and I occasionally use our friend's Volvo S70 AWD Wagon. I can't seem to get the seat in a comfortable position in that car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice Saab. I always liked that body style. Looks to be in really good shape. And you got one that pre-dates GM's involvement. :thumbup

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
I never cared for the body style on those cars....

But it HAS to get better gas mileage than my Bronco, and you can't beat that. Does the Turbo ever wear out on those things?

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
i used to really dig those cars. one day someone came to visit me at college and remarked that the campus parking lot looked like a saab showroom. after realizing he was right, i never really liked them as much.

good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Saab's are cool in the mountains.

Had a friend that asked to put his in my garage for a "few days" to replace the radiator. He had to disassemble most all of the front body panels just to get it out.:popc1:

Never in my life have I ever heard anyone cuss a car as much as he did when he would work on it. Cracked me up.:toothless

Cool cars regardless.:thumbup

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
gearrat said:
when i hear the word saab i think of the movie called moving with richard pryor and dana carvey
:histerica :histerica :histerica :twotu:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
gearrat said:
when i hear the word saab i think of the movie called moving with richard pryor and dana carvey

No offence ubermich..

when I hear the word Saab I think Id cry if I had to drive that thing too..:popc1:

Again..No offence

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's funny. So far I've had a MUCH easier time working on my SAAB than working on the bronco... But that's not the car's fault, it's mine. :)

As for Audis, I was considering an 80 or 90 quattro, but I just fell in love with the SAAB. Once you fall for a SAAB, nothing else will do.

And for the body style. It's certainly not for everyone, that's why it's a "niche" car. A lot of people don't like our broncos :p One of the glorious things about SAAB is its consistently understated exterior. But sit inside (and figure out where the controls are), and everything is right where it should be. Who knows, maybe someday I'll relocate all my bronco's controls to be in the same place they are on the SAAB! :toothless

Oh yeah, and the topic of turbochargers. They generally last 60k+, but even if you wear it out, replacements go for ~$100, and upgraded turbos run anywhere from $200-400. Not nearly as expensive as it is to turbocharge a NA vehicle!

when I hear the word Saab I think Id cry if I had to drive that thing too..

Again..No offence
Bah, that's quite alright! I guess I'm too young, but I don't get the reference! :thumbup

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Blue'87GT said:
I haven't heard good things about newer Volvo's lasting as long as the older models. Lots of maintenance such as ball joints every 30k miles, expensive bulbs burning out all the time, etc.
thats because they are owned by ford now

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you kidding? That's the FUN part! :goodfinge
Actually, there's something to be said about the fact that it's gone almost 300,000 miles and HASN'T needed a new water pump. How many water pumps has YOUR truck gone through? :twak

Nah, the engine setup is definitely weird and will make many repairs a right pain in the ass. But it will be worth it. This car, to me, is like many of your '69 Olds 4-4-2s... Once I get her back to mint condition (currently looking at around 4-5 years), I'll be sure to post pics :thumbup

1 - 20 of 36 Posts