Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my Pro Comp 4" lift kit. I'll be running 33's w/ 3.55 gears. I really wanted the 6" lift, but my wife is short and doesn't want it to be that tall. To make it work I had to compromise. We only really ride trails that are moderately difficult. Will this be a decent set-up?

I have serched a lot here, but I'm still not sure I made the right call...

Either try to talk me out of my purchase or tell me I made the right decision. This is my first 4 x4 so I am a noob for sure.

Also, I tow a 17' bass boat with this truck. Should I change gears or will I be OK? Currently I'm running 32" tires and it tows fine. Is there going to be excessive strain on the tranny or other parts?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Sounds like you made the right decision....for a compromise anyway. You will be fine with towing, but you may want to look into 4.10 gears in the near future. I also predict you will be wanting the 6" lift and 35s within a year.:toothless
Keep us posted when you lift it.:beer

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
I have the 4 inch lift and run 35s. I personally like it. Keeps the COG lower and I like the fender wells being a bit fuller of tire... however, many of the guys on here prefer the 6 inch lifts when running 35s.

A question for you is, do you see yourself going up much higher in tire size? If you are going to stick with 32/33s, the 4 inch lift is the way to go. If you are going 35s, then the 4 inch still works but the tires will fill the fenders and sometimes a little bumper/fender trimming is neccesary....

Yes, as soon as you put bigger tires on the truck, it begins to strain the tranny unless you change gears. Throw a boat on the back and that adds to that. Everyone on here will recommend a gear change with larger tires if you can afford it. As I asked above, what size tire do you see yourself ending up with? You should gear accordingly for that tire... that being said, many of us run bigger tires without re-gearing (myself included) due to cost, but many of us that do that end up having transmission issues down the road.

One mod, a little off topic is, if you dont have one, add an external transmission filter, a large cooler and an tranny temp gauge to your set up. Helps a ton! (there are some good write ups on that mod here, do a little searching and you will find it).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to go with 35's in the future but it's most likely not going to happen. I have all of the expensive hobbies and that rubs my wife the wrong way. I was lucky to get to spend the $1,000 on this lift project. I was really hoping to not have to re-gear. I'll probably look into the tranny cooler and filter. I really want to treat this truck well because I love it and it's in great condition. I'd hate to tear it up by doing something stupid. It doesn't even have 75K miles on it yet. I would love to see it live to 200k like some of the other trucks on here.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
If the time comes that you want 35s and want to go to a 6 inch lift, you can upgrade a few parts (coil springs, shocks, rear springs) and use the same drop down brackets that came with the lift.

I would put the trans filter and cooler to the top of the list of things to do with the truck....

·
Registered
239 Posts
*reminder to myself... dont get married *:toothless

jk ... i've been debating myself over the 4-6 inch decision... 4 would be good for me, less stress on the whole drivetrain... dont wanna run huge tires because not as much wheel well space when im climbing stuff

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the lift from 4 Wheel Parts. Pro Comp was having a huge 1 day sale which included free install and 1/2 price alignment. I will be having the work done at the Denver store. They gave me a great deal. (And I'm a noob wannabe mechanic who frustrates easily)

The lift was reduced from $1215 to $764. Out the door the whole thing is going to cost me $1,045.

Is 4 Wheel Parts a quality organization?

Any experiences w/ them?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great deal!! Pro-Comp is top-of-the-line. 4" looks real good on your Bronco. I can tell you from experience that you will want to re-gear after the tires go on, so go ahead and plan on putting another $1200 or so aside for a shop to install new ring and pinion gears in it! You will not be happy with the new lack of power you have once 33" or larger tires are put on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
some people have bad experiences and some have goo.d now i have only delt with them once putting tires on a superduty. they were excellent and only took about 2 hours putting a leveling kit and 33s on. but good deal dude

·
Registered
260 Posts
The only bad thing I've had with them is every time I go in there asking about a part they have on there website the counter monkey has no clue on how to look it up in there own system. When they finally figure it out they call the manufacture and get placed on hold for 2 mins they hang up and try again after 3 or 4 times they just give up and say they don't know!!! So I say ok no prob thanks for the help and walk out. I've never been back, I figure I can buy it online and do it myself.

I'm not saying the organization is bad, I think it's the counter monkey not the company. You see that at any business.

It does sound like you got a pretty good deal from them since I think there install rates are normally pretty high and to get it free you can't beat it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i agree with the other guys that the 4" kit is for you. itll look really good w 33"s still have good road manners and not feel top heavy off road. i have a 6" kit and off road i get a little skittish on off camber situations. i guess ill be that way untill i finally roll it. and as far as stress on anything you should be fine as long as you have an auxillary trans cooler. if you wanna lose the sloppy shifts toss in a shift kit, thatll further reduce stress on the trans. as far as regearing you wont have too, yea youll lose a little power, hell buddy of mine can boil his 33"s w 3:55s with his 351 so youll be fine. good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 4 inch lift and I am running 31's. I do mostly trails and I love it, good choice for trails, if you plan on doing anything more though bring some towing gear and have a good friend on speed dial. Also, if your kit only came with rear blocks, upgrade to new leaf springs asap. I made the mistake of towing my wifes car from WV to CA a few years back, and my tranny and gears paid for it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I've been pricing out tires lately. Are Pro Comp tires worth a damn? They are also on sale right now.

I've always been a BFG guy. If it's not a stellar tire, I'm not buying it.........

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
I've always bee a BFG guy. If it's not a stellar tire, I'm not buying it.........
Those are contradictory sentences :rofl:

First, you will get 101 different opinions on tires. You name the tire and there are 5 people who love it for every 5 that hate it. Overall, I have heard good things about the procomp tires. Before you make a final decision though, search the site for Maxxis Bighorns and do a little reading on them... I just bought some to replace my old BFGs and have to agree with what you will read in various threads on this site, I love them. Much quieter than my BFGs, aggresive tread, nice sidewall, great price. I just paid 182.50 per tire, shipped, and that was for 35s. 33s are even cheaper.

·
Registered
426 Posts
the bfg tires are the best, the rubber compound Iheard is actually harder than other brands. My dad had the pro comp m/t and my old no name m/t outlasted his. The pro comps are kinda soft but give a smooth ride, they are pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I ran a set of procomp 35" M/T's and loved them. They're quiet, smooth, balance well, and are stickier than bubble gum when compared to other M/T's. After driving around, i could literally walk up, press my thumb into one of the lugs, and leave a fingerprint in the rubber.

Life span? Not much, but I was running spooled and the truck was a driver. I got about 16,000 miles out of them. Without a spool, i don't see why you couldn't get 30K out of a set.

Justin

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,369 Posts
I say either BFGs or MTZs.

Sweet deal BTW. Until you mentioned that I was gunna say you should have stayed away from both ProComp and 4WP, but sounds like you came out ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.