Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The frame flex on my crew cab (and even regular cabs) bothers me a lot. Plain and simple it just moves way too much. Now the thought occurred to me to add cross members or just box it completely. But then I remember about stacked/doubled frames used on tractors, heavy trucks/equipment, wreckers etc.

Does anyone know why this is done over a complete boxing of the frame which seems like it would be pretty strong and save a bit of weight?

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
Our older logging trucks had sleeved frames, a steel channel insert basically, inside the outer frame. Bolted together, these two pieces were about as stiff as anything you could come up with, but less bulky than the alternatives. They were also more rigid than a boxed member, as they worked against each other under load... as best as I can remember.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
I never seen a stacked frame but I've seen plenty of reinforced frames the frame flex on my f350 flexes like mad also the bed and cab will end up as much as 2-3" difference looking at the rocker panels. Boxing the chassis would stiffen it considerably the c channel is just flexible by design.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Boxed with additional cross members would be the best way to do it. The draw back is the work involved and the increased issues with corrosion inside the boxed tube. What do you think you will gain doing any modification?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the stacked frame but have boxed a few so my vote would be for a boxed frame. If done right they are strong and dependable.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
please dont stack your frame, just box it

stacked frames are UGLY and weight to much

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
OMG ^

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
That Mofo has rear sliders though....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boxed with additional cross members would be the best way to do it. The draw back is the work involved and the increased issues with corrosion inside the boxed tube. What do you think you will gain doing any modification?
I was thinking full skids underneath would be my cross members. The corrosion issue leads me to believe the stacked frame is the perffered method. Supposedly frames were fully boxed when the strength was needed and as time went on they went to stacked frames due to corrosion issues since the boxed frames tend to rot from the inside out.

The frames on the reg. cab long bed and crew cabs have way to much flex. When my Reg cab is flexinf out I can't even open the door. It's annoying and I;d just like to strenghten it for future intensions. I'm planning on putting a sroker in this trucks and I'm swapping everything over to another frame and I want it done right.

The crew cab will probably just end up with the majority skid plated underneather and slides with a nice big rear bumper to help with the frame flex.

I alos noticed most of the new trucks are fully boxed and have very minimal cab to box movement under harsh conditions, speifically the F150.

please dont stack your frame, just box it

stacked frames are UGLY and weight to much

:doh0715: I knew someone would post something like that. I sure hope that's not what you thought I meant!

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
How fitting is it that the Bronco in that picture is in front of a Walmart.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i would like to know to because that's what i thought you meant, maybe take apart another frame and use the right rail on the left and left on the right to box it is you version of stacking? because im lost

also if your talking about boxing the front frame and leaving the rear alone then its flexes just the same as my 99 f150 was like that.

also i like how trucks on spiketv did it with there rolling thunder project, they boxed the frame and used speed holes to lighten it up, but it was a street/track truck build

edit.
after reading it, are you talking about the hydroformed frames on the new f150s (04-current)?
or maybe leaving the frame open c-channel and plating the outside to create a stacking effect? kinda like a frame within a frame?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
I vote for boxing the frame and good bumpers front and rear. Then, just for good measure, you can ad a skid or two. :shrug:

KC

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why are you flexing out a crew cab anyhow?
Shit happens...:toothless

i would like to know to because that's what i thought you meant, maybe take apart another frame and use the right rail on the left and left on the right to box it is you version of stacking? because im lost

also if your talking about boxing the front frame and leaving the rear alone then its flexes just the same as my 99 f150 was like that.

also i like how trucks on spiketv did it with there rolling thunder project, they boxed the frame and used speed holes to lighten it up, but it was a street/track truck build

edit.
after reading it, are you talking about the hydroformed frames on the new f150s (04-current)?
or maybe leaving the frame open c-channel and plating the outside to create a stacking effect? kinda like a frame within a frame?
I'm talking about NEW, 2011/12 not a 99 or even a 2004.

And the pics you've been waiting for a DOUBLED or stacked frame...because there are 2 frames stacked together or two frames doubled up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts