Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting my SAS and having some placment issues with brackets. First Cage directions arent helping with rad arm braket measurements, positioning it at the first rise in frame seems to be very close. Anybody have exact measurements? Second I know the coil tower needs to be moved forward to the bump in the frame and an inch off the bottom of the frame. I'm using a tower from JBG and the outer edge is contacting the bump, should I trim some material off the edge so I can get the side closer? Any help is appreciated.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
I'm using towers from JBG, thought they didn't make them anymore? Anyway, I only moved it forward to the bump in the frame, did no added clearancing as that was already a hair over 1" forward and enough to clearance 37's for me. You also mentioned 1" off the bottom of the frame...if you mean upward, keep in mind that is done to get the proper lift height dependent on a number of factors. I did it since I'm using the very long superflex coils and didn't want 7-8" of lift.

You kinda have everything backwards in your post though. first you take care of the towers, then get the whole SAS rolled under the truck with RA's on and positioned vertically under those towers and that should really help you nail down where the RA frame brackets will need to be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did have the towers positioned first before setting the RA brakets, then did several measurements to make sure everything was square and positioned right then ran plumb bobs on both sides to get axle center line. Truck was set at ride height going off of rear that is done, mocked axle in place at its ride height roughly and took measurements off of everything this way.Checked tower placement on frame by measuring up the 19" for compressed coil height( per instructions from Cage). coil tower ended up being almost 2" up from bottom of frame.I think this is because JBG changed the design of the tower, they are almost 3" shorter then originals measured in the same spot. Double checked everything today even wheel base is ok shorter than expected but I did a shackle flip in the rear. I was hoping for some actual measuremnts to campare to.

By the way all parts are Cage, coils RA's, shocks, everything. hopefully this helps with any input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
all i did was moved the towers as far forward as i could............bolt your coils on.....put the radius arm brackets on the radius arms and held them up with straps to the frame. put jackstands under your axle and slowly let the frame down untill it was at ride height.(put jackstands under your frame too when at ride height just in case). all i did next was drill my holes for one side and measured it, then drilled the other side.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On my 80, I didn't change buckets but, I mocked up the diff with RA's. Compressed the springs to ride height & then mounted the RA brackets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parts used in front include: Cage RA's, 12-14" travel shocks, trac bar, trac bar mount, 6.5" springs. FoMoCo f-350 shock mounts. New JBG coil towers. Rear parts are Cage shackle flip with his ALL and 12-14" shocks. Pictures will come if I ever remember to take the camera with me. The goal with doing this was to get the most travel with the lowest lift building around a 35-37" tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought all of these parts directly from Jim, spent alot of time on the phone with him discussing exactly what I wanted to acomplish and all of this with the exception of the JBG and Ford parts were what he suggested. Also the shackle flip was a new item he said that I got one of the first ones, its very similar to a jeep shackle now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
87fomoco did not use cage arms, and used 4 inch superlift springs. So things are gonna be quite a bit different, so just be careful.
yes but when it comes down to it.............your going to have to go about it the same way but just end up with some different measurements

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally made some progress on the SAS, been an uphill battle to say the least. Been fighting brakets mostly and misinformation. Anyway, has anybody had trouble with the progressive coils from Cage? I got one of the last sets before the business was sold and there was no quality control with whoever produced them for Jim. I had to cut the ends so they would line up, and once in one of them is compressed more then the other causing the bronco to lean.just seeing if anyone else has had similar problems.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
how much lean are you talking? It's very common for a bronco to be out up to a bout 5/8ths, at which point I believe Ford suggests various things to look at to fix since it's beyond what they believe to be acceptable. my truck has always sat about .5" high on the drivers side. I find this good since 98% of the time it's just me in the truck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was about 7/8ths out at the coils. Looks to me like one is just compressed or weak. There is nothing in the bronco so I know its not the load or anything like that.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
you can always swap them side to side to confirm it is indeed the coil causing it (mine is not caused by coils).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought about that, but with the trouble I've had with parts so far I figured it was the coil. As it was I had to cut about 2" out of the end so they would index

1 - 18 of 18 Posts