Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I figure it's about time I just start this and post all my questions in one thread. I can promise you all one thing. This will be a long slow build thread. Working with limited time and resources will prevent any stunning progress. But that's the beauty of a project. When you are done you know you've done your best and you can set back and fully appreciate all your hard work.

Started on the hood today. Just working a little at a time as I have time and trying to remember anything I once knew about painting and body work since the last time I painted a car was 1991.

The hood had been rattle canned. In sanding it down I have discovered a lot of rust underneath the paint. No pitting yet. Metal is all smooth. My question is once I get it sanded down, will prepsol or another metal treatment work to elimate the rust before I primer and seal it?
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
12,535 Posts
Take it to bare metal like your doing and use a metal conditioner on it before priming. Don't use prep-sol for that. Prep-sol is made for removing wax and other chemicals applied to the paint. If your taking it to bare metal there is no need for it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any suggestions for removing paint and grime on the under side of the hood. No one around here does sandblasting.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Little Progress

Got the motor out and tore down. Ever notice how you start to do one thing and it leads to another, and another, and another........

On top of cracked exaust manifolds, old bolts that a socket or wrench couldn't grab. Headers will be ordered to replace.

[/IMG]

Leaking softplug
[/IMG]

and dry rotted motor mounts.

For now it's getting a cam, oil pump, new dizzy gear, and headers. Hopefully an intake and I'll get the holly 650 double pumper I have on the shelf rebuilt and put on while I'm at it.

Question: What type of bolts do I need to replace the old rusted exaust bolts or does the cheapo Summitt headers come with new bolts?. My last truck I tried some Grade 8 bolts, but they just rusted up and fell apart in a matter of months.

·
Premium Member
12,535 Posts
Any suggestions for removing paint and grime on the under side of the hood. No one around here does sandblasting.
I used a scuff pad and then hit the ubderside hood on the crew with some Dupli-Color bedliner. It worked perfect for that application. Pics in my build thread.

Question: What type of bolts do I need to replace the old rusted exaust bolts or does the cheapo Summitt headers come with new bolts?.
Headers come with new bolts.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Ranger. I have the Duplicolor stuff on my list to get after seeing it in your crew cab build thread.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a small update: A friend of mine sent me a belated Christmas present. Ordered me a new 460. Be getting it in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was sort of payback for a huge favor I did for him a few months back. But hey, maybe by summer I will be back on the road with it!!!

Header question for anyone? I'm searching Summit Racing for some cheap headers. All I see is for 2wd appication. I'm using the following
search criteria: 1979/460-7.5L/F-150. Using this since the Bronco didn't come with a 460. Any sugestions or part numbers appreciated.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never mind fellas. Found the answers I needed after searching for a while. Looks like L&L p/n 79750, Sanderson p/n FF 463, and Stans p/n 246y are the only fits and not in my budget, so I'm looking for some manifolds for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts