Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search for this and didn't come up with anything.

All of my dash lights except for the Seat Belt and Brake light work across the top on my '81 Bronco. I'm guessing that since the rest of the dash lights work, a sensor or broken wire must be somewhere. Where's the best place to look for these? Or is it something else?

Also, while I'm at it, my dome light switch stopped working. The dome light still works when I open the door, my headlights still work (unless I try turning on the dome light, then they flicker on and off), and the dimmer operation for the dash lights still works. However, when I click my dimmer over onto the dome light part, the dome light no longer comes on and my headlights and dash lights flicker on and off. Is it just time for a new headlight dimmer switch? (If so, best place to get one). Or can it be fixed? I tried taking the headlight switch apart myself but couldn't get the rivets out (they'd just spin when I drilled them and I couldn't figure out how to hold them still.) Any ideas?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Pull the dash and check the bulbs. To make sure you're getting current, get a test light (5 bucks at the most) make sure you clip it to a good ground and see if you get any voltage in there (like when the parking brake is set). The parking brake has a switch that sets that light off when you depress the parking brake pedal. Check that as well with the test light (if you touch both leads comming in, one at a time with the clip grounded ,one of them will cause the test light to light up) if it lights up, you either have a bad switch, or the wire from the switch to your dash plug are bad. work your way down the line with the test light to check all grounds and for voltage. same thing goes for your seatbelt light. there's a connector on your seat belt buckle under the seat. I'm almost willing to bet its the bulbs

As for the dome light not comming on when you turn the dimmer switch, check your fuses (i had a wierd short in a fuse block on a ford once caused some wierd stuff) and i'd probably check all the connections on the switch and if that didnt work i'd replace it..hate to throw parts at a problem but not too much you can do for that one.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Wow you actually complaining about them not working???? I purposly remove the bulbs. If something goes wrong I dont like lights.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1clean5.8 said:
Wow you actually complaining about them not working???? I purposly remove the bulbs. If something goes wrong I dont like lights.
Just one of those things, I like to have everything working. The seatbelt one isn't that big of a deal, but the Brake light I actually feel is important because it comes on if certain things in the brake system aren't working properly or are adjusted wrong. Kinda like my brakes to be working right. :)

I'll go out and check the grounds and leads on those parts. Could a fuse have a problem if it isn't blown? I've checked all the fuses and they look good, so maybe I'll just have to replace the headlight switch. As for the bulbs, I replaced all of them a few months ago with no difference except a brighter dash. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1clean5.8 said:
If you wanted everything working you shouldnt have gotten a bronco
LOL.
Hehe, true. :) Although, I can't complain when I got it for free. Been sitting in a field for four years.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smileybry said:
Pull the dash and check the bulbs. To make sure you're getting current, get a test light (5 bucks at the most) make sure you clip it to a good ground and see if you get any voltage in there (like when the parking brake is set). The parking brake has a switch that sets that light off when you depress the parking brake pedal. Check that as well with the test light (if you touch both leads comming in, one at a time with the clip grounded ,one of them will cause the test light to light up) if it lights up, you either have a bad switch, or the wire from the switch to your dash plug are bad. work your way down the line with the test light to check all grounds and for voltage. same thing goes for your seatbelt light. there's a connector on your seat belt buckle under the seat. I'm almost willing to bet its the bulbs

As for the dome light not comming on when you turn the dimmer switch, check your fuses (i had a wierd short in a fuse block on a ford once caused some wierd stuff) and i'd probably check all the connections on the switch and if that didnt work i'd replace it..hate to throw parts at a problem but not too much you can do for that one.

Didn't get around to pulling the dash lights, but again, all the bulbs are brand new. I checked the wire coming out of the seat belt and it looked alright at the base. However, where does it connect with the wiring harness? It went under my rubber floor and I didn't feel like removing the seats and the wall trim just to find out where it went. If someone could give some direction, that would be cool.
As far as the parking brake switch, where is the switch exactly? I tried shining a light around in there and feeling around with my hands but couldn't feel anything. An idea on it's exact location would be great.
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Pull those two bulbs out and replace them....they are burnt out.

As for the headlight/dash light/dimmer switch.......replace it with a Motorcraft unit. This switch is a known weak point......you could use the search here a bit to find out more.....but it just comes down to you changing two bulbs and a headlight switch.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Streetgang said:
Pull those two bulbs out and replace them....they are burnt out.

As for the headlight/dash light/dimmer switch.......replace it with a Motorcraft unit. This switch is a known weak point......you could use the search here a bit to find out more.....but it just comes down to you changing two bulbs and a headlight switch.

As I stated above, I have already done several searches on here and changed the bulbs out with brand new ones a month ago with no change.
I figured I'd have to replace the switch, but I thought I'd see if anyone had a fix first.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Sorry I didnt read through everything about the bulbs, but with a decent wire diagram it should not be too hard to trace.

I guess you could give searching the headlight switch a try......like I said, they are known to fail.....I know I have read posts here about that exact issue......it has something to do with the ceramic deal in there.....anyhow I always have one on my parts shelf.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Streetgang said:
Sorry I didnt read through everything about the bulbs, but with a decent wire diagram it should not be too hard to trace.

I guess you could give searching the headlight switch a try......like I said, they are known to fail.....I know I have read posts here about that exact issue......it has something to do with the ceramic deal in there.....anyhow I always have one on my parts shelf.
No problem. :)

I've found some headlight switches online for about $25 or so, does Ford sell them cheaper? (Too late to call them today.) If not, who's got a decent price? I know BroncoGraveYard has one for $17 but with shipping it adds up to about $30 or so.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The last time I bought one(headlight switch)....about a year ago I think it was like $28.00 at the local Ford Truck dealer....thats with my discount and no tax.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Parking brake switch is located on the parking brake pedal (towards the top) if you dont have the haynes manual, go to autozone.com and check out their repair guides...full of semi useful info.

What i was refering to with the test light is to stick the probe into the the lightbulb socket, with the other end clipped to a ground (just about any bolt on your truck shoudl be a ground) if you probe both spots in the lightbulb socket and the test light doesnt light up, check to make sure you have a good ground off of something you know that works (like the cigarette lighter) then work your way back. That link i posted earlier has a wealth of knowledge in regards to troubleshooting electrical problems in all cars...just so happens it's linked to the ford bronco...

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
AbandonedBronco said:
but the Brake light I actually feel is important because it comes on if certain things in the brake system aren't working properly or are adjusted wrong.
no it comes on when you have a leak in the system and shuts off the half (front or back) that has the leak. It is good to know:thumbup

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't stick anything metal inside the cigarette lighter unless you're real careful. They'll short out if you contact the ground and the hot. Its easy to do.
I'd take the bulbs out and make sure they didn't fry or anything first, then work my way away from them. Both of the things you're playing with go down behind the driver side kickpanel. I'd pull that off and make sure nothing is cut or damaged as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heh, finally fixed both of these.
Brake light I fixed a few years ago by finding the plug on the partitioning valve and plugging it back in.

Fixed the seatbelt light this last weekend while redoing the weather stripping and having the dash cap off. The plug was unplugged. Guessing the previous owner just liked unplugging things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts