Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brakes I have on my bronco are really bad. The pads and shoes are ok, but it i feel like I need to stand on it to even slow down. how can I fix it cheaply.

Thanks
Tommy

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think so, Yesturday I heard from a guy that they used a different brake booster for broncos than the f series trucks. He told me that if I use one of those or an adjustable one, the brakes would work fine. Is that true

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
A Heavy wheel/tire combo and stock brakes just isn't going to give you good performance. Do the F350 upgrade, it really isn't that much more expensive than replacing the stock stuff.

You upgraded to larger tires and if you want it to stop better you need to upgrade your brakes.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think so, Yesturday I heard from a guy that they used a different brake booster for broncos than the f series trucks. He told me that if I use one of those or an adjustable one, the brakes would work fine. Is that true
I've never heard of an adjustable one, however I'm not the most polished tool in the chest. Anyway, the tire/wheel combo is an issue. The F350 booster will help. Just wanted you to rule out all possibilities.

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
My F-350 upgrade only cost about $25. Junkyard parts work as good as new most of the time.
Sometimes better these days with the foreign crap rebuilds most auto parts places get.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i run 39.5x15 tires. i do not stand on the brakes. i could stop faster with a 350 upgrade, but not easier.my guess is you have rusted pistons in the calipers. air/moister in the lines.same for the brake booster. if it is bad you get soft brakes. drums not set right.that were i would start.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Is that fairly bolt up? Anyone done a hydro boost write up for a 78/79 (searching now :brownbag)?

edit: nevermind, I found a few write ups.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.