Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i replaced my neutral safety switch early this month and ive been noticing when i am backing up and i press the brakes i can hear the levers moving and it sounds like a grinding sound. just wanted to know if this is normal

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I don't see how the NSS affects the rear brakes, it's purpose is to keep the automatic transmissioned vehicle from starting in gear.......however what I would do is check the rear brake shoes condition and adjustment and if you're in a level garage, block the front wheel/s and just lift the rear of the truck from the center of the differential a few inches so the tires clear the floor and no more, you could put jack stands underneath but with only a few inches nothing can happen I do it all the time. OK lift the rear, turn the key to run and put it in N and release the parking brake. Take a brake spoon and crank the adjuster star key inside (check Haynes Manaul) to expand the shoes out until the wheel won't spin, retract shoes backing off until you "hear and feel" a slight drag when spinning the wheel and move on to the other one, repeat and you're done.

If this doesn't solve the issue then you'll probably need to remove both drums and look at how the shoes and parts are assembled on the backing plate, check the P brake levers and cables attached, overall see what looks incorrect, broken etc. etc. parts break with age and it's easy to install things incorrectly NBD.......

www.broncolinks.com for additional help source.

There may be a procedure for syncronizing the column shift lever and the transmisson by going underneath the vehicle, take about 10 minutes to perform. Check under the transmission section of broncolinks, illustration ref. Point A...if it applies to your yr BKO, again all this will do is snycronize the column shifter with the transmsison when you go thru the PRNDL gears..

Good Luck ~

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i should of added more info to the thread, i meant the levers that are connected to the transmission the brake lever and the shift lever that are on the nss so when i put it in in reverse and backing up and i press on the brakes it sounds like the lever is grinding up next to something but im not sure what. the breaks work great.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
You got a picture of this because it doesn't make sense to me, the NSS just threads into a hole in the transmission case with an electrical connector with several wires to function. the NSS is merely there to keep automatics from starting in gear for safety. There is column shift linkage below on the transmission and the linkage should should be bolted to the transmission tab, the linkage may have bushings and there is an adjustment to syncronize the linkage with transmision when you use the column shifter for PRNDL....

It doesn't make sense to have a brake lever on a transmission so maybe your terminology is off, why not check on broncolinks.com for a diagram or exploded view so you can "identify" the part/s the way Manufacturer does so there's no mistake or confusion..OK..

Have someone look underneath the truck while you shift the grears, key on but engine off and see what maybe causing the noise...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts