Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to school today, when my brake light in the dash came on, which it never comes on even when my pb is on, how do I go about fixing it? Should I borrow a code tester and pull codes?

thanks for all your help
and it doesn't sound like a brake drum/rotor is sticking

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
The red BRAKE light, or the amber ABS light?

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
on my Titan the brake like came on a couple weeks ago with my B-LSD and It was low on brake service

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If the red light came on while driving, it typically means you have something big time wrong with your brakes. Do you have a really soft pedal? Really long travel? Increased stopping distances? anything along those lines?

If so, fix it first. If not you need to reset the proportioning valve and or check the wiring to the brake warning switch. I know how to do it on the older trucks, but am not sure on the newer ones.

Justin

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Nah, he's only got the switch on the master cylinder. No proportioning valve to mess with. It's probably low on fluid.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
wtf is low on brake service?
sorry..I was typing whilie driving. :doh0715:

What I ment was low on brake fluid. My fluid was at the "min" mark and I filled it up, and the brake light went off along with the B-LSD light!!

..But that was on my Titan (newer truck)...unsure how it translates into older cars and trucks.... might help though!

·
Forward Some Money
5,087 Posts
If the fluid is "low" - causing the light to come on - you either have a leak or you need pads and or shoes.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nah, he's only got the switch on the master cylinder. No proportioning valve to mess with. It's probably low on fluid.
When'd they get rid of the proportioning vlave? I assume when ABS came around?

Justin

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am low on fluid, I will fill it up thank you!

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
When'd they get rid of the proportioning vlave? I assume when ABS came around?
The same time they put the control valve on the side of the master cylinder.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
you have a leak.

Your braking system is a closed system. If you've lost enough fluid for the light to actually come on, it indicates that there is a leak in the system, brake fluid tends not to just go away.

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you have a leak.

Your braking system is a closed system. If you've lost enough fluid for the light to actually come on, it indicates that there is a leak in the system, brake fluid tends not to just go away.
I will check tomorrow, right now it's :drinkbud

·
Forward Some Money
5,087 Posts
.....check your front pads before you fill up. As the pads wear out the piston in the caliper is further (out) in the cylinder requiring more fluid. Then when you change pads, and compress the piston, all the extra fluid you put in will overflow the reservoir. Trust me. :doh0715:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Find out where it went. Rusted brake lines, worn front pads or blown wheel cylinders are where I would look first

and sort of related BMWs have a light on the dash that tells you that the pads are low

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just looking for answers. I blew the right rear wheel cylinder on my 86. Of course, the red light on the dash came on. I just completely rebuilt both rear brakes with new wheel cylinders, etc, and my brakes are now excellent. But the red light is still on and I don't know how to make it go out. Any ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.