Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been steadily working on replacing the wiring harness in my '79 (using American Autowire kit). Looking at my brake pedal, there appears to be an OEM cylindrical shaped switch with a plunger that is depressed when the brake pedal is depressed. This is what the AAW kit provides a connector for, but I noticed that my truck also has another switch mounted a bit higher up on the pedal. It looks like this, which is listed as a brake pedal switch for my year Bronco in addition to the other type.

The other one that is also installed:

Do I need both? Why do I have them both?!

Reactions: Desert Bronco

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my truck was originally equipped with speed control, long since defunct due to EFI and a change of steering wheel. I might see how difficult it would be to add the cruise back in using the EEC-IV built-in OEM stuff at some point.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With great expectation of sparks and torching the whole truck, I connected the negative battery lead to the Bronco and... there were no sparks. I opened the door and the dome light turned on. I turned the parking lamps on and the lamps illuminated. I had my wife depress the brake pedal and the brake lights turned on! I'd say great success and the other brake switch is not being used at this time.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Reactions: Shaker666

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
454 Posts
as I have to work on the switches as well, the cruise control switch can be removed then, correct? at least if there is no cruise control left.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
940 Posts
I have both in my '78 as well. Cruise removed last week due to EFI plus I rarely use it in my modern cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts