Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find this info by searching, but couldn't locate it.

exranger06 replied to my thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5188825#post5188825

he mentioned there could be bubble flare on either the master cylinder or on the ABS unit (rear ABS only on mine).

Can anyone confirm that? I have a double flare tool - not a bubble, so I'm wondering if I need to get that too.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Never ran into a bubble flare on my 95 f150 or 88 bronco, and nearly everly line was replaced.

KC

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pic. I know the reasoning behind the double flare, but if the connection is supposed to be a bubble flare, a double flare won't seal properly, right? I never replaced all of the brake lines before. Only rubber lines and a hard line. The hard lines were already flared. I practiced with the flare tool a little. They came out ok. I use -an fittings at work, and flare my own ss tubing.

I'm wondering if I should change the master cylinder while I'm at it. It's original as far as I know, but still works without issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't recall ever seeing a bubble flare on a domestic vehicle from that era.

A tip for when you install the new lines, always tighten the line to spec then back the nut off and tighten it again. This will insure a good seal on the flared end.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
....but if the connection is supposed to be a bubble flare, a double flare won't seal properly, right? I never replaced all of the brake lines before. Only rubber lines and a hard line. The hard lines were already flared. I practiced with the flare tool a little. They came out ok. I use -an fittings at work, and flare my own ss tubing.
Correct, it will almost always leak no matter how tight.
I replaced all the hard lines on my '89 and all were double flare.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't sure if they were all double flare. Someone suggested there might be bubble flare at the ABS or MC.

Thanks everyone for the info confirming flare type, and the tip on tightening, loosen, retighten.

Should I replace the MC while I'm in there? I assume it's original, but seems to work fine. I'm not sure what the service life is on one.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,093 Posts
I'm almost certain that on my 95 there was bubble flairs at the ABS pump, but double flairs at the front brakes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Can anyone confirm that? I have a double flare tool - not a bubble, so I'm wondering if I need to get that too.
Any double flare tool can also make bubble flares. You know how there are two steps to making a double flare? First you use the die and make the first flare, then you remove the die and flare it again, and you have a double flare.

If you do just the first step and skip the second step, you will have a bubble flare.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any double flare tool can also make bubble flares. You know how there are two steps to making a double flare? First you use the die and make the first flare, then you remove the die and flare it again, and you have a double flare.

If you do just the first step and skip the second step, you will have a bubble flare.
I asked a coworker about that the other day, and they weren't sure. Since some kits are labelled as "double flare", "bubble flare", or "master kit", I thought that they were 2 different tools, and the master kit had both.

Thanks for that info.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Should I replace the MC while I'm in there? I assume it's original, but seems to work fine. I'm not sure what the service life is on one.
As the saying goes: If if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If its working good, I wouldn't bother, seems like money that could go twards a tune-up or something else. :thumbup:

KC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts