Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of lifting my 92 bronco and have some brake lines that need replacement. The line across the front axle and the line from the drivers side up to the master cylinder. I know that the auto parts stores sell the standard brake lines in various lengths, but where can I buy better quality lines to match the new extended braided stainless lines for the 6" lift? Also, I see the line up the the master cylinder is wrapped in a coil several times, will I need to replicate that coil to get the same length of tubing and amount of fluid in the tubing as the stock line?

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
The coils are not there for fluid capacity, that I know of. Some say they are there to allow for variation at assembly, others say that they are there to allow for flex between the body and frame. I have reference material stating that supported rigid line must have at least 2 bends to allow for pressure and temperature related movement.

As far as better lines go, you can go stainless. Tons of places sell it, including Jegs: http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Stainless-Steel-Brake-Lines/758028/10002/-1

Dont forget to double flare the ends of your line. With a very good tool. Working with stainless is no joke. If youre open to suggestions, I'd go with standard brake line. It's cheaper, easier to work with and does the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
The coils are not there for fluid capacity, that I know of. Some say they are there to allow for variation at assembly, others say that they are there to allow for flex between the body and frame. I have reference material stating that supported rigid line must have at least 2 bends to allow for pressure and temperature related movement.
Not exactly sure either, but it looks good...

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
There is flex when the brake pedal is pressed hard, as the firewall flexes the mc moves also.

If you are in the salt (rust) belt, I wouldn't replace the lines with anything but stainless.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo,
Inline Tube - Bronco/Ford truck pre-formed brake, power steering & transmission cooler line sets, hoses, fittings, & rubber fuel hoses, etc.; exhaust systems; parking brake cables; gas tanks, etc. Call them since not all parts are shown on-line
in Stainless
All lines come completely preformed with correct fittings on the ends and spring wrap identical to the factory original lines.
We are always scanning brake, fuel and transmission lines. If you do not see your application, call for an updated listing.
For bending your own lines, see the straight length section.
All of our preformed lines are manufactured with computer precision on our state-of-the-art CNC tube benders.
With our exclusive computer controlled laser scanner all lines are reproduced with uncompromising accuracy.
When you order Inline Tubes, they ship out within 24 hours and are at your doorstep in a matter of a few days.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is exactly what I'm looking for, Thank you so much!!

yo,
Inline Tube - Bronco/Ford truck pre-formed brake, power steering & transmission cooler line sets, hoses, fittings, & rubber fuel hoses, etc.; exhaust systems; parking brake cables; gas tanks, etc. Call them since not all parts are shown on-line
in Stainless
All lines come completely preformed with correct fittings on the ends and spring wrap identical to the factory original lines.
We are always scanning brake, fuel and transmission lines. If you do not see your application, call for an updated listing.
For bending your own lines, see the straight length section.
All of our preformed lines are manufactured with computer precision on our state-of-the-art CNC tube benders.
With our exclusive computer controlled laser scanner all lines are reproduced with uncompromising accuracy.
When you order Inline Tubes, they ship out within 24 hours and are at your doorstep in a matter of a few days.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo basssque,
YW
Also, see my Brake Line & Hose section in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=951
for, such as;
Diagram for 87-92 Bronco & 87-96 F Series w/RABS (RABS II)

Hydraulic Line Repair in a 96 from the 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, and Bronco Workshop Manual; "...Steel tubing is used in the hydraulic lines between the brake master cylinder (2140) and the front brake tube connector and between the rear brake tube connector and the rear wheel cylinder (2261). Steel tubing is also used to connect the brake master cylinder to the flexible brake hose at the rear axle. Flexible hoses connect the brake tube to the disc brake calipers (2B120) and to the rear brake tube connector. When replacing hydraulic brake tubing, hoses or connectors, tighten all connections securely. After replacement, bleed the brake system at the rear wheel cylinders, the disc brake calipers and at the brake master cylinder. Refer to Hydraulic System Bleeding in this section. WARNING: COPPER TUBING SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM. USE ONLY SAE J526 OR J527 OR EQUIVALENT STEEL TUBING. NOTE: If a section of the brake tube is damaged, replace the entire section with tubing of the same type, size, shape and length. Be careful not to kink or crack the tubing when bending it to fit the frame or rear axle forms. Double flared brake tubing should provide good leakproof connections. NOTE: Always clean the inside of a new brake tube with clean isopropyl alcohol..."
Source: by Ford

Checking and Testing for Faulty Brake Hoses, General
Source: by Paul S
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know the exact length of the tube that goes across the front axle and from the master cylinder to the front brake tube connector?

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
listen to jr nice he knows why its done that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts