Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I use a plastic master cylinder for a 87 to 96 bronco on my 85? My 85 has the cast iron master cylinder with the shitty cap that leaks and I’ve replaced it multiple times and it still leaks.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Could I use a plastic master cylinder for a 87 to 96 bronco on my 85? My 85 has the cast iron master cylinder with the shitty cap that leaks and I’ve replaced it multiple times and it still leaks.
Did you make sure the metal surface around the perimiter of the master cylinder is clean, any rust or rough surface will make it leak.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you make sure the metal surface around the perimiter of the master cylinder is clean, any rust or rough surface will make it leak.
I’ll check but my brake pedal also loses pressure while holding the brakes at a stop light so I’m starting to think it’s leaking from some where else on the master cylinder also cause none of the lines or calipers or wheel cylinders are leaking and if the plastic master cylinder would fit I would just get one of them. That’s why I’m asking if it would fit.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I know it can fit but I’m unsure how involved it is.

I’ve had good results getting the metal cap to seal after I put a diamond file (fine whetstone also would be fine) across the gasket surface. Suck out the fluid and stuff towels in it to keep metal dust out of the system. It’s best to find a file long enough to skim both sides of the gasket surface at the same time.

It also helps to increase tension on the bale, either by bending it or sticking a piece of hose underneath it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
if you are losing pressure, you likely have a leak in the valve of the master cylinder. it is 30 bucks plus 10 bucks of fluid to flush the entire system. takes two people about 1hr to do the entire thing, tops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts