Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Resident Wrecker Driver
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 79 Bronco yesterday and I went to move her today. I discovered that the brake pedal goes down and stops but won't go back up unless you pull it up to shut off the brake lights. Any ideas guys?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Could be a bad M/C or a booster. I've never had a booster apart but I think they have a spring on the inside which probably broke.

·
Resident Wrecker Driver
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I thought, but i wasn't sure

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
dont know if it is the master cyl. Mine went out about 4 months back and it would simply bleed off while I was holding the brake. My guess is it is the booster. Does it brake okay?

·
Retired
16,015 Posts
Just go ahead and cough up for a new booster/master cylinder off an F350. You can pick them up at the auto parts store. It is a good upgrade.. Search it and you will find plenty on the how to's..:thumbup

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine just started this last night also. My brakes were in bad shape already and would hardly stop as it was. Calipers and rotors are nothing but rust. Pedal goes down with normal pressure and feel but it doesn't stop until the pedal is all the way to the floor. My Pedal comes up just a hair and stops. I was thinking that maybe it was a caliper or rear wheel cylinder leaking. I think I am going to go ahead and do the F350 MC setup and get it over with.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
firelt90bronnco:
If you want to do the updgrade to the F350 that's fine but for around $20.00 say at Napa or just about any auto parts store you can get a MC repair kit, IIRC there's a plunger, spring and O ring inside. Take off just the MC and with a snap ring tool take it apart and swap in the new parts and you're back in business, make sure you bench bleed the MC and then re-bleed the system.

Sometimes you can MC's on sale for half price, I got my last MC on sale for $15.00 at a Kragen's and it's been great for the last 3-4 years.:chili:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
38 Posts
Definately sounds like the spring is broken in the booster, Buy the F350 setup and save your self the headache

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Mine just started this last night also. My brakes were in bad shape already and would hardly stop as it was. Calipers and rotors are nothing but rust. Pedal goes down with normal pressure and feel but it doesn't stop until the pedal is all the way to the floor. My Pedal comes up just a hair and stops. I was thinking that maybe it was a caliper or rear wheel cylinder leaking. I think I am going to go ahead and do the F350 MC setup and get it over with.
Take pictures.

Remember you are opening a

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts