Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, I have yet another question to throw out there.
Here is my symptoms:
I'm driving down the road and step on the brakes. The pedal goes down pretty far and feels alittle soft. Pedal does not go to the floor, it stops at a point where I can put my other foot under the pedal. If i take my foot off the brake and let the pedal return to normal position then step on it again, the pedal goes down half as far and is solid. At no time does the pedal fade.
I installed a reman master cylinder in march of last year. The po had a brake booster installed. When I installed the mc, the brakes were draging, it turned out that the rod in the booster was adjusted out too far. So I removed the mc and readjusted it to 1". I've had this 2 pedal pushes ever since. My bronco needs to be inspected before march of this year and I'm affraid he will fail it because of the brake pedal.
Any thoughts on what the problem could be?
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Boy it seems there is always something that needs fixin on these broncos but I would not sell it at any price. It's my baby and I will do what it takes to keep her.
Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
from the sound of it, i think the brakes need to be bled, also check for small leaks that would let out the pressure causing you to need to pump them. if all else is good, id check the master. dont hold me to it, but this is what i would do. good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sounds to me like air in the system. I would start with bleeding all four lines at the wheels and then see if it improves.

mR

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Never trust a MFG on parts, the master cylinder may not have been "BENCH BLED" before it was shipped so you may have to do it yourself otherwise you may never get a good pedal.

You can probably do it while it's on the truck now, by taking some old brake lines (2 short ones) with fittings on one end and bend them so they will thread in from the side of the MC and then back into the reservior submerged in the fluid, plunge the valve using a screw driver until ALL the air has been forced out of the MC topping it off if necessary, hook it back up then bleed the system according to the Haynes etc.

PITA I know but that's the best way to do it, don't forget to adjust rear brakes after then you should be good to go!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brake problem

Thanks steve and everyone else that replyed. I installed the mc myself and I did bench bleed it before I installed it. I will try bleeding the system.
Steve83, so you think that the symptoms I described point to a problem with the rear brakes? I will definately check them out. If I remember correctly, I did have trouble with the left self adjuster. the arm would not hold the sprocket like wheel from going in the oposit direction, it would allow the wheel to slip past it. I don't remember what I did but I did get it to work properly. I think I will pick up a brake kit and replace all the springs, cables and adjusters. Hopefully between the new parts and bleeding the system, I will get a solid pedal all the time.
Thanks for the info
Bill

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Make sure you check and tighten/torque the rear wheel cylinder bolts on the backing plate too! They can work lose from ratcheting back and forth sometimes, just a thought ~

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brake problem

Hi gang.
steve83, you the man:notworthy
You nailed my problem exactly. I put all new brake hardware on today and not more double pumping the brakes. Solid pedal all the way.
The problem was the left side. That lever that engages the self adjuster was too low and the star wheel could be turned in both directions. After installing new hardware, it worked perfectly. So all I can thing of is that the old cable stretched alittle and allowed that lever to be positioned too low.
So any way, have a beer on me.:beer. Wish I could buy you one in person.
Thanks again.
Bill

·
Registered
476 Posts
one of our (stupid, ugly, retarded, slow, useless) minivans was doing this exact thing at one point.

the first time you press the brake you had no braking power right? but then have to pump. the problem went away, and i changed the brakes recently, so im not worried but it was very weird, AND VERY SCARY, esp. driving on a local highway @ 55MPH +

1 - 9 of 9 Posts