Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my passenger side front brakes lock up. I took it to the shop and they replaced the caliper on that side and the pads and rotors on both sides. I then drove 1700k miles and no problem. One day the right front locked up again and was smoking. After letting it sit for several hours it was fine and it hasn't done it for about 2 weeks. I went offroading today and we were going up and down a lot of hills. We stopped and I saw my brakes again were smoking but not on the passenger side this time but the drivers side. We let it cool down for a bit, but after we got going again my brakes went almost completely out (i could touch the peddle to the floor. After getting out of where we were and not touching my brake peddle for a good hour I had brakes back and they were working fine. So why are my calipers lighting up and why did I loose all my brakes but got them back? Could the locked caliper have heated up the brake fluid making the brakes not work? Is my maser cylinder going out? Also the Bronco has been idling high, could this added braking stress had an effect?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I know what the problem is.....You said you drove 1700k miles.... isnt that like 1,700,000 miles?! hehehe

·
'05 Excursion Limited
1,662 Posts
had the same issue on my taurus... the problem *might* be the inner lining of the rubber section of the brake line collapsed... under pressure (pressing the brake pedal) it forces fluid through but when you release the fluid is unable to flow back

unfortunately for me i didn't find this out until i had replaced pads, rotor, caliper, etc... for the taurus a new line was $45 but i grabbed one from a u-pull it for $2... i didn't bother doing it, but i was told to replace all of the rubber lines since if one failed, the others might as well

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes there is brake fluid in it. Also I am pretty sure the shop replaced both the brake lines to my calipers, or are you talking about the brake lines running directly from the master cylinder? Also I am almost positive they bled the lines.

·
Registered
731 Posts
yes there is brake fluid in it. Also I am pretty sure the shop replaced both the brake lines to my calipers, or are you talking about the brake lines running directly from the master cylinder? Also I am almost positive they bled the lines.

Well, seeing as it is your brakes, you need to make absolutely sure.

What kind of warranty did you get on the brake work? I would take it back, if it has a warranty.

·
'05 Excursion Limited
1,662 Posts
i do mean the rubber flexible section leading into the caliper... it's not something they would have replaced unless you told them to... from the outside they would look fine

even bleeding the lines wouldn't create enough pressure to lock the calipers (with the bleeder open, it's... well, open)

the problem got worse as the fluid heated up a bit (first few miles were fine, got worse and worse until around 15+ miles... at that point if i took my foot off the gas i came to a dead stop)

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,047 Posts
Go to the User CP & add your year, engine size, etc. to your Bronco Info.
<------- It'll show up over there on every post so we know what you're talking about.

My 90 with rear ABS had a valve that wasn't opening, so the rears were dragging intermittently, it might be a similar problem if your truck is newer with 4wheel ABS. Are there any dash lights lit?

And like those guys said, sometimes a bad brake hose can those symptoms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts