Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for everyone. Where the hell are you guys buying your rotors? I just went to replace my drivers side rotor (front of course) and NONE of the local auto parts stores had them. Not only did they not have them they told me that they couldn't even order them. WTF! I tried Autozone, Checker, Pep Boys, everyone and they all had the same answer. I guess I'm gunna try the dealership parts dept and see how bad they are gunna rape me IF they can even get the part. I know I can get one from JBG but I just hate paying for shipping on a part that I should be able to get locally.

·
Behold my
1,275 Posts
You must be dealing with some dumb parts monkeys, but the dealership isn't a bad place to buy brakes. They're significantly better quality than most aftermarket stuff, and not as expensive as those goofy drilled/slotted/frozen rotors.
Frozen?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK some answers to your replys...Thanks by the way.

I didn't rely on the parts monkeys to do my work for them. I looked up the part numbers on each company's website to ensure I was using numbers they could understand and although they showed the correct part in their system they were unable to order it. Only after being told no way no how did I ask them to do a search. I was given a few different part numbers by them but they are all for rotors that need to be pressed onto the hub and machined instead of a whole new assembly. I really didn't feel like going to a machine shop to get the work done. As far as ONLY replacing one rotor, I am in the middle of moving this month and money is tight not to mention that the other rotor doesn't need to be replaced. The rotor in question is too far gone to have it turned. The PO had driven it for a long time with the drivers side metal to metal and is ruined. The truck did not have ANY brakes when I bought it. The only upside to that is that I work with the guy I bought it from and I get to give him shit about how badly he had taken care of the truck (not to mention the motor oil was so low it barely registered on the dipstick). The entire brake system was damn near shot. I just replaced both wheel cylinders (rear shoes were ok), both calipers and pads (found a deal at $20 per side) and bled the system. The master cylinder and rotor will be replaced after I move this weekend. All in all still not bad for a $500 truck thats just gunna be my weekend toy.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
24,002 Posts
You dont need a machine shop to press rotors on, just punch the studs out, and a few taps with a hammer will seperate the two... screw an old lug nut half way down the stud and hit the lug nut, it will pop the stud right out, to install just insert the stud back in and use a punch and hammer to press them.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You must be dealing with some dumb parts monkeys, but the dealership isn't a bad place to buy brakes. They're significantly better quality than most aftermarket stuff, and not as expensive as those goofy drilled/slotted/frozen rotors.
at work we usually try to buy Ford and especially for the buses. reason being they included all the hardware for the pads which all others do not. big points in my book.

i buy OEM style Bendix replacements for my vehicles at advance auto. go online, find what u want, write the part number down and give it to them. most will still ask what its for and all but saves u the time of dealing with the moronic part jockeys.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Steve83 thanks for the link. I don't care what everyone else says about you, you're alright with me ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.