Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had good luck upgrading the brakes on my wife's and son's vehicles using kits from EBC, Powerstop,etc. When I was shopping for an upgrade for the brakes on my '85, there weren't any search results, but when I plug in '96, all kinds of choices came up. So, two questions:

1) Were there any changes through the years that would preclude picking up parts for a later FSB, and use them on my '85?

2) What, if any, is the standard formula for upgrading the brakes on the FSB, and if there are differences through the years, than I would narrow the question to my '85. I am ok with buying larger wheels (to a point) to accommodate larger rotors and calipers. I'm not expecting sports car performance, just "like new, if not a little better."

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
*SOLD* 1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabbers
833 Posts
the knuckles that the caliper mounts to on the front of your 85 is different from the later models, meaning the calipers a re also different. An available upgrade to your brakes would be to install a similar generation brake booster, master cylinder, and rear wheel cylinders from a 1 ton truck. Then replace front calipers with late 70s Thunderbird units. The one ton components move more fluid due to larger bores, giving more stopping power. Thunderbird calipers are dual piston, more stopping power. The ultimate brake upgrade is to go with hydro boost as opposed to vacuum. This uses pressure from the power steering pump to boost your braking power.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the knuckles that the caliper mounts to on the front of your 85 is different from the later models, meaning the calipers a re also different. An available upgrade to your brakes would be to install a similar generation brake booster, master cylinder, and rear wheel cylinders from a 1 ton truck. Then replace front calipers with late 70s Thunderbird units. The one ton components move more fluid due to larger bores, giving more stopping power. Thunderbird calipers are dual piston, more stopping power. The ultimate brake upgrade is to go with hydro boost as opposed to vacuum. This uses pressure from the power steering pump to boost your braking power.
Ahhhh, ok....old school upgrades, kind of like installing Lincoln Versailles rear disc brakes on Mustangs. Great feedback, thank you! So much for a quick call to Baer or the like, but I figured it would be as such.

Would the 1 ton parts be a necessity for the hydro boost, or would that work out ok with OEM type replacement parts?

·
Premium Member
*SOLD* 1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabbers
833 Posts
I can't really speak to hydro boost as I have never done it. But from what I have seen, it is a replacement of the stock booster and MC completely. I would think the hardware upgrades mentioned above would improve either system. Maybe go with a 1 ton and caliper swap first. Only wasted parts would be the MC and booster if you decide you needed more stopping power.
JBG kit for hydro boost

I bought new loaded calipers when I did my lift. Booster, master cylinder, and 1 ton wheel cylinders were sourced through Rock Auto. I think I got the calipers straight from Raybestos. Been a while.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,571 Posts
Then replace front calipers with late 70s Thunderbird units. The one ton components move more fluid due to larger bores, giving more stopping power. Thunderbird calipers are dual piston, more stopping power
Nope, they are single piston, but its a larger piston than the factory bronco unit.

I have an 85 with T-bird calipers, Dually F350 wheel cylinders, 88 F-superduty HydroBoost, and an F350 master cylinder. It needs some adjusting as it will instantaneously lock up my 37s on loose ground. But normal street driving is great.

After 86, they changed to a bolt slide pin caliper. They are not really easily upgraded without lots of money or custom parts swapping.

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL
1,107 Posts
Nope, they are single piston, but its a larger piston than the factory bronco unit.

I have an 85 with T-bird calipers, Dually F350 wheel cylinders, 88 F-superduty HydroBoost, and an F350 master cylinder. It needs some adjusting as it will instantaneously lock up my 37s on loose ground. But normal street driving is great.

After 86, they changed to a bolt slide pin caliper. They are not really easily upgraded without lots of money or custom parts swapping.
I think the only upgrade I found for my 1996 was the fabricated knuckles from Desolate. All in I think it was like $6k for race car brakes. No real other options.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,571 Posts
I think the only upgrade I found for my 1996 was the fabricated knuckles from Desolate. All in I think it was like $6k for race car brakes. No real other options.
Not off the shelf. But swapping to 1 ton chevy outers can get bigger brakes. But thats a lot of work that most people dont want to/or know how to do.

The hydroboost is the best way to go. It applies more force per pound of pedal input than vacuum booster brakes.

·
Vendor
54 Posts
I've had good luck upgrading the brakes on my wife's and son's vehicles using kits from EBC, Powerstop,etc. When I was shopping for an upgrade for the brakes on my '85, there weren't any search results, but when I plug in '96, all kinds of choices came up. So, two questions:

1) Were there any changes through the years that would preclude picking up parts for a later FSB, and use them on my '85?

2) What, if any, is the standard formula for upgrading the brakes on the FSB, and if there are differences through the years, than I would narrow the question to my '85. I am ok with buying larger wheels (to a point) to accommodate larger rotors and calipers. I'm not expecting sports car performance, just "like new, if not a little better."

Thank you!
I just came across this post, i hop eim not too late in lending some help.

You should be able to find the right parts at the below link for your '85 Bronco

If they are not in stock, you can contact Perfect Brakes directly to have them ordered at [email protected] or call +1 (888) 632-8068

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts