Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

I read a write up on a upgrading a f350's brake to a 79 Bronco, will this upgrade work for a 1995 bronco? Also, where can I find an affordable and quality rear disc brake conversion kit for under $600?

Thanx for the help!
Peter

·
TTB Will Survive
246 Posts
Regarding the first part of the question, my understanding is that you can get a kit for the booster and master cylinder that is a direct bolt on. I am thinking about doing it also.

I don't have an answer for the rear disc break conversion. I know people here have done it. Do the search.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,920 Posts
Put just the F-350 booster from an 89-up into your 95 and see if that's enough for you. If it still doesn't feel good, see if your brakes are leaking.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I put just the F350 booster, what other parts will I need to get to match? (pads, rotor?) I am attempting my first brake/rotor installation, so I'm thinking I might as well do the whole upgrade while I in there.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,920 Posts
Nothing, it's a straight swap. Do not replace the master cylinder and replace the pads and rotors with stock Bronco parts. I just have the big booster and the f*cker stops fast.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I almost forgot to add, now, if I want to add lift down the road, will the brake upgrade present any problems? or! Should I just replace my stock brake set up now with a 1995 F350 master cylinder and the booster so save the hassle from later?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK!! I'll do it this weekend, I'm more afraid of the hub assembly because I need to get to the rotor, so let's hope I don't get confused by all the lock rings in the hub. wish me luck!

Thanx for the advice!

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,920 Posts
Cool, good luck with the hubs and junk, it's really pretty simple once you get in there. You'll love the booster upgrade. Don't forget the rear wheel cylinders, too.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I just came across this and it looks interesting. Could replacing the booster with a F350 booster ever cause any issues down the road with the rest of the brake system, since the Bronco brakes never used this booster? I only ask because I don't want to have a braking issue while going down the road.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brake upgrade followup

Hey I went to a Minecke for some advice, and the jeckels told me if I were to put a F350's booster on it, it's not going to be very effect, they suggested me to use heavy duty pads and rotors instead, like the ones used on ambulances. They did mention if I insist, then it would be smart to have the rest of the assembly from the f350 moved to the bronco to make it effective, by the way this jackass at that place said why do this on a bronco, it's not meant to be off road!

what do you think about this?

I looked at him and I was about to slap him.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,920 Posts
Ok, who are you gonna trust? Some jerk that wants your money or some guy on FSB who is trying to help you and who is running that combo right now?

·
TTB Will Survive
246 Posts
DasTeufelHund said:
Hey I went to a Minecke for some advice, and the jeckels told me if I were to put a F350's booster on it, it's not going to be very effect, they suggested me to use heavy duty pads and rotors instead, like the ones used on ambulances. They did mention if I insist, then it would be smart to have the rest of the assembly from the f350 moved to the bronco to make it effective, by the way this jackass at that place said why do this on a bronco, it's not meant to be off road!

what do you think about this?

I looked at him and I was about to slap him.
:goodfinge Sure, sure, spend money at my shop, yeah that's right, come a little closer to me with your credit card!! Haaaaaaa/hee/hee I got you sucka!

NO DUDE, brake pads and rotors are the normal maintence stuff. You can go to kragen and get a kit for the booster and the master cylinder. it around $100. If you just want the booster, you'll still see improvements with more presure. You don't have to "Change the whole system." My friend just did his (booster and mstr clyndr) and as clarko said, he did just the booster. From my understanding, its pretty simple and a bolt on job.

Regarding the question, "will it affect things down the road?" NO, just remember what you bought and if you sale the thing, use it to your advantage as another upgrade. Nothing about the lift touches it. In fact if you do it now, you'll like it for the 35's you put on. My buddy has 38's and did a sas w/dana 60's. he didn't change anything on the tubing except as I said, the booster and master clyinder. He said it made a big difference (that's after the sas). Regardless if you keep the ttb or do a sas, etc.. it won't effect anthing except help to keep your insurance cost down by not hitting things.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
The guy is partly right. If the booster gives you more leverage that would have to equate to the ability to apply more clamping force through the pads and onto the rotors. Your rotors and metallic pads and calipers need to be good quality stuff. even then with larger tires, the rotors will heat tremendously, causing brake fade, fluid boiling potentially, and warped rotors.

This is where a nice rear disc swap would come in handy since rear discs are more effective than drums, espcially so if drums get wet/muddy off road. This is also why it's nice to move to 8 lug swap, like if doing a solid axle swap. discs in rear, along with being able to run a larger rotor like one from a chevy 3/4ton truck, which is 12.5" x 1.25" vs. your stock 11.75 x 1" is where you really start obtaining heavy duty braking capable of handing large tires, heavy use. Also if doing brakes, make sure you bleed the whole system correctly and thoroughly, and replace with good quality DOT 3 or better yet DOT4.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
of course I've saved bunch by taking advices from the guys in here, I just wanted to make sure all the ground is covered so I don't make a wrong decision and have it bite me in the ass later.

I will consider all the advice and probably decide some time this week, but i probably will just go ahead and do the swap with F350 booster.

Thanx!

·
TTB Will Survive
246 Posts
Shadofax said:
The guy is partly right. If the booster gives you more leverage that would have to equate to the ability to apply more clamping force through the pads and onto the rotors. Your rotors and metallic pads and calipers need to be good quality stuff. even then with larger tires, the rotors will heat tremendously, causing brake fade, fluid boiling potentially, and warped rotors.....Also if doing brakes, make sure you bleed the whole system correctly and thoroughly, and replace with good quality DOT 3 or better yet DOT4.
Agreed! I have heavy duty pads on and slotted rotors (not the ones with the holes, just the ones that have the groves cut into them). After I drained the whole system and replaced with new quality brake fluid, I practicaly hit my head on the window. I came to a light and wasn't used to it. I felt pretty stupid as my tires kind of locked and some people on the street looked over at me.

As shadofax mentioned, having the larger rotors is better.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.