Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all 3/4ton brakes on my SAS except for the booster. I put a 3/4ton master cylinder on it today. Just wondering if the 1/2ton stock Bronco booster will be up to the task?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I have all 3/4ton brakes on my SAS except for the booster. I put a 3/4ton master cylinder on it today. Just wondering if the 1/2ton stock Bronco booster will be up to the task?

What size tires? And exactly what are you using for 3/4 ton brakes? I run a 37 and with chevy 3/4 ton calipers and rotors (12.5x 1.25) at all four corners I have very nice, even braking using the stock master/booster.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be running a 42 tsl. Right now I got's 38.5 Gumbo's. I used 79 front 3/4ton knuckle, brakes and hubs on the front w/a dual piston caliper. On the rear I have D60 with 12x2 1/2in brakes. I installed a new 80-96 style master cylinder. I do have a 84 3/4ton 2wd booster I could put in, just wondering if I need to in able to get full 3/4ton brake or are the boosters the same between the 1/2 and 3/4ton. They look identical externaly but so do the masters???

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts
You have the little booster, thats why the look the same. The HD F250s & F350s got a bigger booster.

Do you need it? No. You will get the full travel out of your master cylinder no matter which booster you use. But, it will be harder to push the pedal down with the little booster than it will with the big one. Soo, little booster = hard pedal, big one = softer pedal.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Sounds like you have drums in the rear as well, so it would be beneficial for you to look into discing those.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I,ve gotta get this fixed. I installed the 3/4ton master on the stock Bronco booster, bled the entire system very thoughly and my pedal is still dropping to the floor the first time I hit the brake and the brake light comes on. The pedal isn't pumping up but after the first time my pedal is hitting about halfway down until I let it idle again for a minute and it repeats it all over again.:banghead

Is my booster shot? If so should I get the 3/4ton heavy duty one like pictured?

Everything in the brake system is brand new except the booster. I thought of rear disc but, I decided it wasn't needed in my opinion.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You have the little booster, thats why the look the same. The HD F250s & F350s got a bigger booster.

Do you need it? No. You will get the full travel out of your master cylinder no matter which booster you use. But, it will be harder to push the pedal down with the little booster than it will with the big one. Soo, little booster = hard pedal, big one = softer pedal.

so it looks like the "boosters" are interchangable - I was worried that the bolt pattern on the bigger booster would not fit on the Bronco (I have a 1992).
My project this weekend is figuring booster & master out on my sas - D60 front & sterling 10.25 rear all four disc.
does anyone out there know the part numbers to buy to replace the stock Bronco booster, master and porportion valve?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a thought. I have been having a hell of a time getting the right parts from West-Can auto parts lately.:twak If they sent me the stock Bronco master cylinder instead of what I asked for could this cause my problem??? I am going to double check the part number with them tommorrow and make sure I got the right master for a dual piston setup.

·
Registered
712 Posts
the stock Bronco master cylinder displaces less fluid per inch of pedal travel that a big truck master cylinder does, so tis only natural that with big front brakes (require more fluid flow in/out) you need to push the pedal further down. How are your rear brakes adjusted, are the shoes almosy dragging on the drums? That's how they should be very very close to the drums, if they ain't then it will take even more fluid to be pumped out the master cylinder to get the whole system to engage.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts
does anyone out there know the part numbers to buy to replace the stock Bronco booster, master and porportion valve?

Since you have a 92, then just buy the parts for a 92 F350 instead. 351 or 460 for engine option so you get the bigger stuff for sure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
West-Can screwed up and gave me a light duty single piston master cylinder that is under 8500gvw F250.:smilie_slap Dual piston over 8500gvw is what I just got, soooo I will try it and let you know.:banghead

·
Registered
316 Posts
Since you have a 92, then just buy the parts for a 92 F350 instead. 351 or 460 for engine option so you get the bigger stuff for sure.
but will the firewall bolts match up with my current bolt pattern?

I asked a brake specialty shop - but they could match it - they told me that I have to wait until Monday so they can call their contact who will have a full cross reference on all bosters - My brake shop said most all are different - I find that hard to believe as I would think all bolt holes would be standarized

ja

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts
Yes, the firewall is the same for all models (bronco, F150, F250, F350, etc). There were some minor changes i think in 95, but they changed for all models, so if you order them for the same year as yours, they will definitely work with no mods.

I dont think that brake shop understands what you want to do; of course the boosters are different but they are still all interchangeable.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, the firewall is the same for all models (bronco, F150, F250, F350, etc). There were some minor changes i think in 95, but they changed for all models, so if you order them for the same year as yours, they will definitely work with no mods.

I dont think that brake shop understands what you want to do; of course the boosters are different but they are still all interchangeable.

Thanks - The shop definatly understands what I am doing - they may be overly causious - anyway I can not do anything until Monday and by then they will be able to cross check - they showed me that the boster arm has a number that defines the spec's and they said that they need to corrlate my booster to the new one anyway It will be done monday

thanks I will let you know what they say

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I installed the Dual-piston master and It helped a little bit until my brand new part started to leak. I got another brand new one coming for monday.

I have been talking to a brake shop here in Kamloops and he gave me some really good input. He said the main problem is the propotioning valve. I currently have the stock Bronco one in the truck and he said I have to use a 3/4ton valve to distribute the fluid properly. Makes sense to me. So that being said I ordered a WillWood adjustable brake valve and I will get that on Tuesday. I'll let you all know how I make out.:banghead

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well I installed the Dual-piston master and It helped a little bit until my brand new part started to leak. I got another brand new one coming for monday.

I have been talking to a brake shop here in Kamloops and he gave me some really good input. He said the main problem is the propotioning valve. I currently have the stock Bronco one in the truck and he said I have to use a 3/4ton valve to distribute the fluid properly. Makes sense to me. So that being said I ordered a WillWood adjustable brake valve and I will get that on Tuesday. I'll let you all know how I make out.:banghead

Yes, I am dealing with Chucks Brake & Wheel 707 542 6012 they really seem to know their stuff - the first time I went in he gave me the new master and new propotioning valve - that was when he told me that if I changed the booster it would work even better - he did say I could just stay with the stock booster - but I figured Brakes are a good thing so I sould go ahead and do the best I can - so new booster will be comming - he also gave me Cal Push and pull 530 893 4060 - these guy's make custom e-brake cables - so I am ordering two for the rear - once I get this stuf I will be good to go...
the whole SAS will be done... drivable.. I can not believe it...
:beer

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
are any of you guys trying to keep your cruise control? the little red plug on my bronco master. i can't seem to find an F350 master with the same plug. pix of what yall had and what yall swapped to would be really helpful.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts
I put an 88 F350 master/booster in my 88, but thats a different system. Seems to me that a 95 or 96 F350's master should work for your 95.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I put an 88 F350 master/booster in my 88, but thats a different system. Seems to me that a 95 or 96 F350's master should work for your 95.
Agree. I look up 1 ton F350 on partsamerica and the master looks like it's all setup for a screw in cruise in the same location up front.

FYI, you don't want the one with the red top anyway as I believe that's the one that was being recalled. I used to have that and now the new one is a bit different (but still screwed right into the MC).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Guys, now back to the origonal dilema. I was thinking of gutting my prop valve and just use it as a block and put my adjustable valve in-line to the rear brakes. Anybody done this? Could this cause any problems?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts