Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brakes on my '96 have been acting very weird lately. When coming to a normal stop, they will sometimes stop normally. Most times though, the pedal will go a lot further down, and the brakes will feel weak. Then all of the sudden they will come on very hard and strong, with the pedal coming up against my foot. This sudden surge of brake power will sometimes briefly lock the front wheels. The sudden surge will also sometimes be accompanied by a loud bang sound under the truck. The pedal is never hard to push.

The front pads (Hawk) are only three months old. I've pulled the ABS fuse, and the symptoms haven't changed.

Any ideas folks? The m/c wouldn't act like this would it? Could the booster act like this?

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
check all the brake hoses and lines bro. bleed them. also check your fluid as well

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
master cylinder bypassing?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
check your rear shoes to see if you have a broken or seperated pad

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've checked the fluid, and it's at a normal level. No obvious leaks from the m/c area, nor under the truck. I haven't had a dry/not super busy chance to crawl under and visually check the lines, but hopefully I'll be able to tomorrow afternoon. I'll also pull the drums tomorrow to check them out. Today at lunch while the rain held out, I did hear a bit of a rubbing sound from one of the drums--crossing fingers that it's a simple problem!

As for the ABS, I've pulled fuse Number 2 under the hood and the ABS indicator light is on in the dash. Should I pull fuse number 8 under hood as well? I see in the Haynes that fuse number 15 under the dash says that it is also an ABS fuse--pull it as well? Also, I don't see where an ABS relay is--where would it be?

Hopefully all of the rain has caused a simple problem!

Thanks for the hints, I'll get more info/checks in tomorrow, pending no rain.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE!

Alright folks, here's what I found;

After getting home, I put the truck up on jack stands and pulled the passengers side drum, and found what you see in the pics. Obviously the friction material is supposed to be attached to the backing plate which is still in the proper place--not loose in the drum! After running to the parts store for brake cleaner, new shoes, and new spring pack (total $30). An hour and a half later, I had all of the parts on the passengers side together except for the self adjuster and its spring/cable. I pulled the drivers side to see exactly how it was routed, and behold!!!--one of the two shoes was seperated there too!!! Of course I stuck it out to get the job finished on both sides. The drivers side only took me about 30 minutes armed with the experience of the pass side. I can tell you that it's tough to install the springswhile manuevering a flashlight under your arm and between your knees trying to see what you are doing. By the time I got done with both sides, it was 9:30 pm. One test drive later, and all of my problems were solved! Thanks for all of your help and support guys! Hopefully someone else will search with my odd symptoms and be able to draw from this one.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Glad to hear you got it beat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.