Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im at college right now, recently when i have been getting into my car after it has been sitting for awhile, i would put into drive and sometimes have to give it gas to get it moving, since it only happend here and there i didnt think much of it, but today i was driving it, and when i got into it i really had to go alittle bit before they let go, and i noticed that they decided to hold on sometimes when i was just stopped waiting for another car, on one of the times it did it i puton the E-brake as hard as I could and it realsed somthin and i whent on my way problem free a few times, so i am guessing it is the drum brakes, i was just wondering, how bad do you guys think this is? i only ask in this forum becasue like i said i am still at college about rufly a halfhour dirve away from home, anything i can tinker with without taking the tire off? (sory dont have a jack in my truck right now) i know that there is that litle rubber access hole and a tension bar behine it, should i loosen it up a bit? just as a little insite i had recently installed new brake cylenders in the back becasue they where leaking.

thanks for the help!

G

·
I would guess you answered your own question.

Did you install new shoes with your new cylinders?

then yes, adjust them

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
first, try pulling the rubber caps and spraying brake cleaner in there. it would be due to the cylinders, since it 'sounds' like it is the ebrake springs that are locking up and not releasing. see if cleaning it out helps at all, also check the cables to make sure they are running free.
then, if you can scrounge two flatheads, bacck the adjuster off a bit and then while backing up, slam the brakes on a few times. this should reset the adjuster.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd back off on the adjusters a little bit. But you need to get a jack- and check to see if you got them adjusted right when you get a chance.;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
pull your fuse for your ABS. See if the problem goes away. Test will only take you 5 min. No disassembly required and is the same exact thing that happened to me. Good luck.

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, and just to sound less pathetic, i have a couple jacks at home, what i emnt by that is that i didnt have it on the truck becasue i didnt have the spare tire and it seemed pointless to be caring just one of the too, im going to have time to check it out tomaorw, i will have my impact wrenches by then also!

when i was driving it home that night, i was cerious about the brakes so i tested them by slaming on them on a empty street, needless to say my frontend on the passenger side made a ugly movement, it felt as if the whole pass, tire broke forward a couple of inches, i got under the truck and could not find any sighns of movement. i guess it sounds like its about time to change pivot bushings also!

G

·
haha, i do that sometimes when im pissed off! i had the same problem about a week ago... check the emergency brake cable... also, could have something to do with your abs, which was my problem, so you might want to also get that checked out - even though it can be pricey if you cant do it yourself... good luck :thumbup

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
Stoked.......Did you replace the wheel cylinders yourself or had someone do them? If you did them yourself, you could have left something loose if you replaced your shoes also.

Also, if you did the cyls. yourself, did you not notice if the brake hardware was rusted out or in need of replacement? My .02

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes i did the brake cylinders myself, and im not too comfident that they are quite up to par, I dont trust myself with them, and i never got the drivers side to ajust right, its hooked up exactly the same as the pass side but it is off center when the drums off and the pads didnt really want to rest together on the top pin, the shoes are at like half life so i just left those to be and i replaced all the springs, i dont quite remember it being all that rusty, but it did really tick me off when i whent back to check the brakes and the drivers side brake would not let go of the drum (even though the ajuster is as loose as it goes!). im going to tinker around with the ABS and see if thats it, is there some way that i can just get like a bypass or a non abs swap?? i mean it seems kindof pointless to pay for a new modulator valve if im just going to drop a 9" in later thus loosing the VSS.

·
Registered
787 Posts
i never got the drivers side to ajust right, its hooked up exactly the same as the pass side but it is off center when the drums off and the pads didnt really want to rest together on the top pin,
:twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak

...ummmm.... not to come across as an ass, but did it ever cross your mind that that just might be the problem? :confused:

I'd fix that ASAP before you do anything else.

And while you're there check your axle shaft bearings too. If they're toast the drum could be riding against the backing plate.

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah thanks, well im just going to go through the whole brakes this weekend, they could probably use new pads anywasy considering all the grease and brake fluid they consumed (heh yeah iknow) I did kindof exspext some of these flamed answers but still it has me wondering if i really put them back on wrong and where, heh after this week my dad just says that im full of it and said they look fine, but not much else to try. thanks again guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts