Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I’m new to this forum but not new to Broncos, I have had two 86’s in the past and have recently purchased a 95:rockon.

Unfortunately the most recent one has a few problems that stem from a little neglect by the previous owner :smilie_slap. The most critical problem concerns braking and I wanted someone else to hear the problem and give me an opinion on possible causes. Main thing is I don’t want to go replacing a bunch of expensive sensors and parts when it is not needed, I have no problem changing parts but I’m a little limited on diagnosing problems. I have a few ideas of what it might be and just wanted a second opinion.

Info:
  • 95 Bronco
  • 302 efi (Stock with a new stock distributor)
  • 152,000 miles with no lift and no evidence of a lift in the past (Main reason I bought it)
  • I assume all stock steering parts (Guy couldn’t tell me if anything had been changed before he got it, and if it has been changed, it’s been a long time.)
  • 31x10.50r15 Tires in good condition (1/2 yr old)

Problem:
When I bought the truck the ABS light was on during the test drive and the previous owner told me that it had been on for a while and said that he didn’t know the cause. The rear brakes locked up this morning in the rain, so I know for a fact the ABS is not working. Also the wheel begins to shake back and forth when the brakes are applied but not every time. This never occurred during the test drive, unfortunately, nor does it occur every time I stop. I Left the driveway this morning, got to the first stop light (2 miles) and nothing, however at the next stop light (13 miles) I hit the brake and the steering wheel began to shake back and forth about a quarter turn each direction (I can let go of the wheel and see it doing this but the truck still tracks strait).

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. The reason why I'm hesitant, and I posted here before I just replaced the rotors, is that it is not doing it (shaking) every time I hit brakes and it is still going strait when the steering will is going back and forth. But I guess the rotors and front brakes are the best place to start. Any suggestion on the ABS light. Not too worried about the brakes locking up, my 86's didn't even have ABS, just going to have to get used to not burring my foot in the brakes again (bad habit now). Main concern is that if ABS not working then it will cause a problem somewhere else.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check if you have the calipers with the slides in it. If those aren't properly greased up the calipers dont work well and will eventually eat your rotors, brake pads, and themselves.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Rotors are the first thing I'd check. Pull the wheels off and take a look. Look at the pads, too. I had real bad pull to the left (only sometimes) that was fixed with new pads. Rotors are cheap, anyway - ten, fifteen bucks apiece?
When the steering wheel is moving, can you feel any unevenness, grinding, pulsing, or other unusual things in the brake pedal?

It seems to me that broken steering linkages (OR SOMETHING, hell, I dunno crap about steering) are common in the older FSB, and perhaps newer. When I was buying a bronc I test drove three others and they all had large amounts of play in the wheel - quarter turn each way, roughly. I wonder if that's the case?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Work truck did the same thing ... Not saying that's for sure the prob but when they changed the Rotors out and front tires prob sliced. How are ur front tires

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check if you have the calipers with the slides in it. If those aren't properly greased up the calipers dont work well and will eventually eat your rotors, brake pads, and themselves.
Not sure what you mean by "slides", but I'll check when I get to the house tonight.

When the steering wheel is moving, can you feel any unevenness, grinding, pulsing, or other unusual things in the brake pedal?

No grinding or unevenness at all when I'm hitting the peddle. That's what is so weird about the problem. If i hit the brake and it pulled one side or the other or started grinding (both I have had happen before), I would know exactly what to do (change rotors and pads). But I'm lost with this one.

How are ur front tires
Even wear on both sides with plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hate but love these money pits
Yeah, I'm just glad this time around it's not my daily driver like the last two were. I have time to fix it at my leisure and not by Monday so I can get to work. however, I believe that if my brain really embraces that philosophy then this is not the only thing that I will being asking how to fix in the future (t case, rear end, hubs, axles). But it should be fun at least.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
No grinding or unevenness at all when I'm hitting the peddle. That's what is so weird about the problem. If i hit the brake and it pulled one side or the other or started grinding (both I have had happen before), I would know exactly what to do (change rotors and pads). But I'm lost with this one.
Check the pads/rotors anyways, since it doesn't take long. I've never had a brake issue that didn't affect either feel in the pedal or left/right pull when slowing. If you don't have either, and pads/rotors look good, I vote steering.

The slide pins guide the caliper during its travel. If the caliper is sticking on it, the caliper will contact the rotor poorly, causing uneveb pad/rotor wear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts