Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 bronco witch the break lights not work. They rarely turn on very very briefly when the breaks are pressed down. I’m sure it’s a wiring thing. Looking at the pedal I find 2 things I have no clue about.
Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Any information to these 2 items would be great.

otherwise, If there is any known common problem with break light malfunction let me know

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
One of them is the actual brake light switch. I forget what the other one is - switch for getting it out of park?
Anyway, the switch is easy to remove/replace for testing or if you just want to throw the part at it it isn't expensive. Check to see if it's adjusted correctly. You should hear it 'click' (brake lights now on) with a small movement of the brake pedal.
Have you checked the fuse? Have to checked/cleaned the bulb bases and housings?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The wiring is your brake light switch. Unsure of the other, was thinking cruise control.

You can check for 12V at one harness lead to ensure you have voltage at the switch. You can check switch for continuity to make sure it’s passing current when closed. You can also buy a new one as they aren’t expensive, just a pain to work on due to location.

Also would he wise to ensure your grounds are up to snuff. My 80 grounds its taillight assemblies through the body.

·
Registered
924 Posts
take the wires from the red brake light switch and short them together to see if the lights stay on or do the same thing. If they stay on you know the brake light switch is the problem if not dig a little deeper to find the culprit. Most likely it's that switch.

EDIT: then again the switch might turn the brakes on when it is open so unplug the switch and see if it turns the brake lights on and if not then stick a wire in the plug to jumper it and close the circuit to see what it does.

Reactions: slimpartywagon
1 - 9 of 9 Posts